Ich bin ein Freakonomist

In a very engaging discussion on WSJ.com, Alex Tabarrok and Bryan Caplan, a pair of economists at George Mason University, show that Freakonomics is hardly the only place to find creative applications of economic research.

1. Anonymous says:

The WSJ article writer says:

“the sophisticated consumers know to
    reject the supplemental insurance
    and return the car after gassing it
    up themselves, thereby taking
    advantage of the low rental rate and
    avoiding high markups”

I say individual stupidity isn’t the only reason or principal reason why people pay more. Many business travelers who will be reimbursed for travel expenses have no motive to save these costs.

2. Heidi says:

Ich bin ein berliner.
    yummy.
    Just watched the tv interview and thought I would look up more information. I’ll get back to this once I read the book. I just wanted to comment because I’m at least seeing information I find interesting, which is more than I can say for most topics I find in the social eye today.

3. Anonymous says:

This is an excellent point. Levitt isn’t a freaky economist, he’s just a good economist. If his work is not considered economics then why did he get the Clarke Medal? How about selling economics and saying “look how great economics can be”, rather than saying “look how great something different from economics can be”.

4. Heidi says:

Ich bin ein berliner.yummy.Just watched the tv interview and thought I would look up more information. I'll get back to this once I read the book. I just wanted to comment because I'm at least seeing information I find interesting, which is more than I can say for most topics I find in the social eye today.

5. Anonymous says:

This is an excellent point. Levitt isn't a freaky economist, he's just a good economist. If his work is not considered economics then why did he get the Clarke Medal? How about selling economics and saying "look how great economics can be", rather than saying "look how great something different from economics can be".

6. Anonymous says:

Comment on the discussion of the exorbitant prices of gas and insurance for rental cars. The WSJ article writer says: "the sophisticated consumers know to reject the supplemental insurance and return the car after gassing it up themselves, thereby taking advantage of the low rental rate and avoiding high markups"And, he goes on, the rental companies take advantage of stupid consumers who pay more. So smart people win.I say individual stupidity isn't the only reason or principal reason why people pay more. Many business travelers who will be reimbursed for travel expenses have no motive to save these costs.

7. PredictX says: