No, We Don't Know What This Means Either

A bunch of people have asked what the illustration that accompanied our latest N.Y. Times column is supposed to mean. Honestly, I have no idea. If you want to see a considerably less abstruse illustration concerning Freakonomics, take a look at this. It was done by a Portuguese artist, Goncalo Viana, to illustrate our Times column as it is carried in a newspaper in Portugal. Here is Viana’s online portfolio, which includes some of his “Freakonomics” illustrations. As for the caricature of Levitt and me: First of all, Levitt and I have never worn matching shirts. Further, I think Levitt makes out quite a bit better than me; while I refuse to find anti-Semitic undertones in the devil horn that crept into my hairline, I do admit slight displeasure that my nose has been made to look like a human tush.

1. Goncalo says:

Being portuguese I had to google the word tush to find out what that was… Oh my Oh my..! hehe

I guess it does look like one, in a Freakanatomy kind of way, back to the drawing board!!

2. Goncalo says:

3. skytroubie says:

I’m surprised the logo is a mystery to anyone…seems to me its trying to make apples compares to organges or make apples out of oranges or see that in fact, apples can be oranges or related to oranges…no? the book compares variables that seemingly have nothing to do with one another (abortion:decrease in crime) from the outside but underneath (under its skin) these two variables could in fact be two of a kind…what do we think?

4. skytroubie says:

5. skytroubie says:

uuhhh….sorry…i misread the post and so of course my response doesnt make any sense…much like the logo for the article…but give me a minute i’m sure i could come up with something :)

6. skytroubie says:

7. urijah says:

I think it’s supposed to be the outline of his left arm covering his eyes, as in his he’s making a choice between holding his putative love interest or ignoring her. (Which would make more sense if it was a man he was holding though…)

8. urijah says: