A Very Good Year

Whatever the reason may be, Freakonomics had a very good year in 2005. It has been recognized in year-end roundups from Milwaukee to India and in publications specializing in sports, music, celebrity gossip, and, of course, economics and books. It’s been called everything from hip and sexy to dry and grating– and those were just the positive reviews.

For those with time to kill, here’s a list of Freakonomics “best of” links:

The New York Times:
Notable
Most Blogged about
(and a list of blog links)

New York Magazine:
Best Nonfiction

Amazon.com:
Bestsellers of 2005
Editors’ Picks

Amazon.ca (Canada):
Bestsellers of 2005
Editors’ Picks

USA Today:
Tops for literate gift-givers (not to mention quirky)

Publishers Weekly:
Best Titles
Listen Up Awards (audio)

The Economist:
One of the “books of the year” (no link)

Fast Company:
Best Books of 2005

People Magazine:
#7 Bestselling book (no link)

Other publications in the US:
New Statesman

Arkanas Democrat-Gazette (subscription required)

Boston Globe (Larry Summers’s favorite book of ’05)

Dallas/Fort Worth Star Telegram (“It” book of ’05)

WTOP Radio (Nonfiction that mattered)

Sporting News

And the U.K.:
The Mirror

The Scotsman

Online:

Ask Men

iTunes editors’ pick

Freakonomics even had some success with awards. From winning The Quill and the Joseph-Beth/Davis-Kidd Non-Fiction Book of the Year to making the Financial Times/Goldman Sachs short list, it’s been a pretty great year.

All we can say is thank you everyone, and happy new year.

1. amitrajit says:

HAPPY NEW YEAR to both of you and all the staff that keeps this site running. Are we going to see a FREAKONOMICS 2 this year ???

2. amitrajit says:

3. 3612 says:

Hats off to you, the Inestimable Rachel, toiling back there in the dimly lit recesses of the office with your team of Bob Crachitts and Bartlebys cranking out those book plate address labels. I’m hoping the co-authors have seen fit to send in an extra ration of holiday grog. The Freak year is dead. Long live the Freak year!

4. 3612 says:

5. mikej says:

My wife of 41 years has developed some interest in what economists do after she read Freakonomics. That’s something I was never able to accomplish, even as my teaching economics kept a roof over our heads and food on the table for all that time. Thanks.

6. mikej says:

7. daedalus702 says:

I am a big fan of Freakonomics, but I don’t understand the authors’ apparent desire for tireless self-promotion on this website. There are so many posts that amount to variation on a theme of “we don’t understand why these people think we (or Leavitt in particular) is so great.”

That is like repeatedly telling people “Bob thinks I’m genius, although I’m not sure why.”

Repeatedly combining accolades with “Who, me, brilliant?” amounts to fatuous expressions of humility. And co-author “knightings” like Dubner’s repeated slavish praise of Leavitt, have grown tiresome. Sure, every once in a while, but hasn’t it gotten a little much!

Who once said one should beware of believing one’s own press, good or bad?

I’m sorry to sound harsh. As I said, I loved Freakonomics — I’m a slow reader and I rarely read things in one sitting, but I didn’t put Freakonomics down until I was finished with it. I like Leavitt too — I sat in on his class at UofC, and he seemed (and seems) like an absolutely “stand-up” guy. Particularly coming from a field awash in ideological handwaving and the like, reading a guy like Leavitt is like drinking from an oasis in a desert.

But come on guys. All the self-promotion makes it sound like one of you is planning on running for office! People who visit the website regularly, like myself, already think you’re great. We don’t need to hear it over and over again. Let the accolades speak for themselves.

8. daedalus702 says:

Who once said one should beware of believing one’s own press, good or bad?