An Economist For President?

Yayi Boni, an economist who used to run the West African Development Bank, has been elected president of the African country of Benin. He is at least the second economist to have recently become president of an African nation, joining Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf of Liberia. To the best of my knowledge, there has never been a U.S. president who was also an economist. Hell, if Harvard can’t stomach an economist as president, it’s hard to imagine the U.S. could. But maybe the time is approaching. So tell me this, dear blog readers: if such a thing were possible, which American economist would you like to see as president?

TAGS:

1. Closet Libertarian says:

Becker for President!

I agree that any Economist would have trouble getting elected. Economist tend to talk too straight about issues, i.e., “We should spend less on your pork.” Few economist speak in short sentences.

I can’t think of many government programs that most economist think need more spending. That makes support difficult.

Becker/Posner ’08

2. Closet Libertarian says:

Becker for President!

Becker/Posner ’08

3. MVPY says:

If you ask around I think that the majority of people would say Paul Krugman. But that wouldn’t be my choice.

4. MVPY says:

5. minderbender says:

Not strictly an economist, but Robert Rubin would be great. Summers wouldn’t be bad.

6. minderbender says:

7. kramsauer says:

Presidents are elected because they have one hand (never do they say “on the other hand”). If an economist is elected, he (she) won’t have campaigned as one.

8. kramsauer says: