Sad news: Milton Friedman has died

Media reports are saying that Milton Friedman, the great Chicago economist and Nobel Prize winner has died at the age of 94.

He was truly a revolutionary thinker. People do not realize how revolutionary because so many of his ideas that were thought to be crazy when he suggested them eventually came to be seen as obvious: school choice, a volunteer army, etc.

The least of his accomplishments, but the one that gave me the opportunity to interact with him on a regular basis, was to serve on the Board of Directors of the Becker Center which I direct at the University of Chicago.

Even at the age of 94 he would teach me something about economics whenever we talked.

TAGS:

1. toddzilla says:

What a bummer. I saw a clip of him on Charlie Rose and he looked (for obvious reason) really old, and his voice was ragged. I wondered how well his mind had held up. To my relief, it help up perfectly. He sounded rough as all get out, but his mind was still as sharp as a tack.

What I enjoyed most about him was his ability to frame his arguments objectively as opposed to slinging mud and attacking the character of his opponents in the name of ‘debate.’ To paraphrase Thomas Sowell, it was enough for Friedman to state that his opponents were mistaken and their policies harmful — and why.

His genius was that he was capable of thinking far beyond anyone else yet he was equally capable of explaining economic concepts and ideas in a manner than most any layman could understand. “Free to Choose” lit a fire of interest in economics for me, and had I not read it I doubt I would have returned to college to pursue an econ degree.

2. toddzilla says:

3. scott cunningham says:

His work and Gary Becker’s work made me want to become an economist. RIP Dr. Friedman.

4. scott cunningham says:

5. dtmcgraw says:

Dr. Friedman’s genius is still taught in college classrooms across the United States today. As a senior Economics major at the University of Michigan, it is more than obvious how influential he was to the field. His legacy will live on with other Economists to the likes of Smith and Keynes.

6. dtmcgraw says:

7. aaronsw says:

On which planet are school choice and volunteer armies now seen as obvious?

Oh, right, Planet University of Chicago Economics Department.

Still, my condolences.

8. aaronsw says:

On which planet are school choice and volunteer armies now seen as obvious?

Oh, right, Planet University of Chicago Economics Department.

Still, my condolences.