When Bad Spelling Is Good for Business

As James Altucher reports on his daily blog watch on TheStreet.com, the sale of domain names remains a very big business. This year, Diamonds.com went for $7.5 million, Vodka.com for $3 million, and Cameras.com for $1.5 million. According to DNJournal‘s list of the top sales in 2006, the 23rd biggest sale, going for $242,400, was Mortage.com. Not Mortgage.com, mind you, but Mortage. As Altucher notes, “people can’t spell mortgage, but they are still getting loans.” This should cheer Altucher himself; his latest website is Stockpickr.com.

TAGS:

1. mgroves says:

The Stockpickr domain name, however, is done purposely, as in Flickr and all that Web 2.0 jazz and what not. However, “Stockpicker” still might have been his first choice.

2. mgroves says:

3. maatathena says:

Could someone please alert the bloggers that they have spelled the fantastic Senator from Illinois’s name incorrectly, and in a most unfortunate manner? Nobody wants to be accused of promoting Osama’s new book.

4. maatathena says:

5. I understand how bad spelling can be good for business, but it still drives me crazy. I can only imagine how many kids think that the correct way to spell ludicrous is “ludicrus”.

6. I understand how bad spelling can be good for business, but it still drives me crazy. I can only imagine how many kids think that the correct way to spell ludicrous is “ludicrus”.

7. snubgodtoh says:

The spell checker is surely one of the biggest banes on today’s society. My email at work doesn’t underline misspelled words in red (you need to click the spell check button in the interface, gasp) so I get some atrocious stuff. I find it offensive–in a professional setting anyway. Now I will be hypersensitive about my grammar and spelling in this forum (even though it is leisure, not labor). Also, Cloe: I think you misspelled the colloquial adaptation of ludicrous if it is in fact the name of a rapper you are referring to which is funny if you think about it, I’m not sure though, not worth googling (is that right or googleing? See, hypersensitive).

8. snubgodtoh says: