Best Use of the Web Ever?

It’s one thing to see a flame war break out on a Web site. But it can’t compare to actually hearing the flamer at work. That was the realization of the S.F. Chronicle, which just had the insanely entertaining idea of turning irate readers’ phone messages into podcasts. Here’s the first one.

I will give a prize to the first person who listens to the whole thing and doesn’t either a) laugh out loud or b) want to hit the man in the throat with a flounder.

I wondered at first if perhaps this call was a stunt — the guy’s use of the word “cutline” betrays his above-average knowledge of newspapering. But I don’t think this kind of fervor can be faked. I’m particularly fond of this line: “Is there any other kind of drone than a pilotless drone?”

The answer would seem to be: Yes, sir; you.

(Hat tip: Jim Romenesko.)

TAGS: ,

1. ray says:

Someone forgot to take their meds.

2. ray says:

Someone forgot to take their meds.

3. snubgodtoh says:

Wow, I’m particularly fond of this line: “there’s no such thing as a non-pilotless drone”. It takes all kinds to make this wonderful world go ’round.

4. snubgodtoh says:

5. Mcgarnicle says:

I choose both answers , I particularly laughed at this reader’s comment as well.

Can you imagine having him as a father? It’s spelled cat, see aye tee, CAT, not kay aye tee, cat, you moron. What are they teaching you in 1st grade? Did I teach you to piss on the English language!? Cat, as in meeow, em e e oh double you, meeow!
    Posted By: Magic_Twanger | January 24 2007 at 05:05 PM

You can see he was able to grab the essence of his character there !

6. Mcgarnicle says:

Posted By: Magic_Twanger | January 24 2007 at 05:05 PM

You can see he was able to grab the essence of his character there !

7. hammerattack says:

I love when people go off on a rant without making sure to inflate the tires on their rantmobile. A drone is not pilotless. They do in fact have pilots. The pilots simply aren’t in the drone. More importantly, this generation of vehicles being discussed cannot properly be called drones to begin with because much – and in some cases, all – of their mission profile is hands-off, with an AI directing the aircraft. That is why they’re now referred to as unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV).

8. hammerattack says: