Best Use of the Web Ever?

It’s one thing to see a flame war break out on a Web site. But it can’t compare to actually hearing the flamer at work. That was the realization of the S.F. Chronicle, which just had the insanely entertaining idea of turning irate readers’ phone messages into podcasts. Here’s the first one.

I will give a prize to the first person who listens to the whole thing and doesn’t either a) laugh out loud or b) want to hit the man in the throat with a flounder.

I wondered at first if perhaps this call was a stunt — the guy’s use of the word “cutline” betrays his above-average knowledge of newspapering. But I don’t think this kind of fervor can be faked. I’m particularly fond of this line: “Is there any other kind of drone than a pilotless drone?”

The answer would seem to be: Yes, sir; you.

(Hat tip: Jim Romenesko.)

TAGS: ,

1. SharpieSniffer says:

To be fair, I have an above-average knowledge of the newspaper business and I learned it all from reading Lewis Grizzard’s book “If I Ever Get Back to Georgia, I’m Gonna Nail My Feet to the Ground.”

I actually passed an intro to journalism class using only the knowledge I got from this book. He recounts his start in the newspaper business. Grizzard talks about the slot man, cutlines, reefers, going above the mast, etc.

The caller on the podcast is crazy but maybe he just likes redneck humor.

2. SharpieSniffer says:

The caller on the podcast is crazy but maybe he just likes redneck humor.

3. CollegeCat says:

I was really not that amused until he started shouting pilotless and drone over and over AND OVER! I forgot what he was even ranting about at that point.

4. CollegeCat says:

5. egretman says:

That is so hilarious. And I am so jealous. I wish I had left that message.

Don’t you get it? I wish I had left that message. Me..left…that….message. Message…message…me…left. D*mn I wish I had left that message.

What a hoot.

6. egretman says:

That is so hilarious. And I am so jealous. I wish I had left that message.

What a hoot.

7. stankwell says:

I could put a mike in front of any number of marginally sane, ranting homeless people that I pass on the street every day and turn it into a Podcast, but I doubt if many readers of this site would find it very funny. But what’s the difference between that and what the Chronicle is doing?

8. stankwell says: