Best Use of the Web Ever?

It’s one thing to see a flame war break out on a Web site. But it can’t compare to actually hearing the flamer at work. That was the realization of the S.F. Chronicle, which just had the insanely entertaining idea of turning irate readers’ phone messages into podcasts. Here’s the first one.

I will give a prize to the first person who listens to the whole thing and doesn’t either a) laugh out loud or b) want to hit the man in the throat with a flounder.

I wondered at first if perhaps this call was a stunt — the guy’s use of the word “cutline” betrays his above-average knowledge of newspapering. But I don’t think this kind of fervor can be faked. I’m particularly fond of this line: “Is there any other kind of drone than a pilotless drone?”

The answer would seem to be: Yes, sir; you.

(Hat tip: Jim Romenesko.)

TAGS: ,

1. synapticmisfires says:

Well I lose the contest, although I’d say that he deserves much worse than a flounder. I can’t believe that. What makes it worse is he complains about the absence of drone elsewhere before screaming about something that he interrupted as a vaguely, kind of sort of redundant use of it. I never knew that redundancy is considered pissing on the english language though. That is fascinating.

2. synapticmisfires says:

3. mckayvo says:

This is a totally hilarious idea but I wonder how long it will last.
    I used to work in radio and we could be sued for putting a request-line caller on the air unless we explicitly told them that they could be broadcast (and we had to run on-air recorded disclaimers)… and this was pop radio…part of the broadcast IS airing calls.
    I know that this isn’t “the public airwaves” but it’s still a “broadcast”. Unless they have a disclaimer on their voicemail, this guy might have a case.

4. mckayvo says:

This is a totally hilarious idea but I wonder how long it will last.

5. MG2007 says:

Here is my guess: It is Matt Groening (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Groening). And it’s genius on many levels.

6. MG2007 says:

7. pkimelma says:

Besides the obvious problems with what he saying (not all UAVs are drones, and drones specifically have a ground based pilot), I am amazed he could get that upset about this subject. But, one does have to wonder if this was some sort of joke/pun on “drone” (as an aircraft and a style of speaking) as well as on “tautology” (which is an unnecessary repeating of an idea among other meanings). If so, it makes you wonder if Bronstein was in on it, since the joke would likely be lost on the usually people that review letters/VM/email to the editor.

8. pkimelma says: