How Do You Spend Your OnlineTime?

Nice post here at Complete that breaks down Web traffic not by unique visitors or even page views, but by time spent at a particular site. The winner, by a gigantic landslide: MySpace.

Most of the rest of the top 20 aren’t that surprising (Yahoo!, Amazon.com, Facebook, eBay, etc .). It’s interesting to me that only one bank made the top 20: Bank of America. I wonder if this means that:

1. Bank of America simply has a lot more customers than other banks.
2. Its site is so bad (or good?) that it takes longer to use than other banks’ sites.
3. All of those BofA phishing e-mails (it seems I get about 2 a day) have sent lots of customers to the real BofA site to make sure they haven’t been scammed.

1. egretman says:

B of A is average. You have to be right. It’s all those d*mn emails they send out. I’m thinking of changing credit cards just to get away from them. But would that work? Would they just keep sending me spam?

2. egretman says:

3. lermit says:

Probably 3. As far as I’m concerned.

.lermit

4. lermit says:

Probably 3. As far as I’m concerned.

.lermit

5. cakeeating says:

Not having used any of the other bank sites recently (though I did use Sovereign a couple years ago), I can’t compare accurately, but my experience with BofA’s site has been very pleasant, and I use it for paying bills and transferring money, and also in lieu of paper statements. I log on frequently to keep up with changes in my accounts. The security is good (not overbearing, though when it comes to money, maybe it’s impossible to be TOO overbearing), and everything is pretty easy to find. Also complicating this metric is the fact that BofA kicks you off after 10 minutes of inactivity. I wonder how this is taken into account by the rankings.

Perhaps another idea of what this reflects is that BofA is doing a better job of converting their customers to online banking than the other guys and the site has become a resource for money-management. This might be taking it too far, but it’s another thought that I can personally vouch for, at least.

It also brings to light the difficulty of finding a truly functional metric for internet use now that the nature of the web is moving away from the pageview. What it means to spend an hour at Myspace is drastically different than spending that hour at a banking site, or watching a long movie on Google Video.

6. cakeeating says:

7. rolub says:

Within the past few months, two of my MBNA credit cards have been transferred to BOA, and as I check my credit card accounts daily to check for theft, I spend a small portion at the website each day.

That being said, the online account access section of their website is more difficult to navigate than the one that MBNA had used. So for me, #2 is appropriate, and #1 is the cause of it.

8. rolub says: