Either Google Book Search Needs to Tweak Its Recommendation Engine, or There Are Furniture-Building Secrets in “Freakonomics”

That is my conclusion after seeing this Google Book Search Page for a book called How to Build Your Own Furniture. The page lists three “Related Books,” including How to Make Your Own Recreation and Hobby Rooms, How to Build Your Cabin or Modern Vacation Home, and … Freakonomics.

Huh?

I am trying to think of what may have fooled the Google recommendation engine into tossing our book in there. While it is true that I was briefly a carpenter, and often think of writing a book as a process very similar to building a house, and probably therefore rely more than the average writer on verbs like “dovetail” and “hinge” (used in a non-carpentry manner, however), I cannot figure this one out. I do think that people who are interested in any of the other three books on the page are bound to be pretty disappointed if they happen to grab the fourth.

(Hat tip: Andrew Burkett)

1. editorguy says:

Could be that the Marley book came up because, like Freakonomics, it was penned by a newspaperman.

2. editorguy says:

3. jeffstier says:

On a brighter note, on CNBC last night- on “On The Money” in an interview wiht Carl Icahn, they show a shot of him walking in what is presumably in his office- and there is an EMPTY bookshelf- with just ONE book on it- Freakonomics! If you subscribe to CNBC.com you can probably get the video online.

4. jeffstier says:

5. edgii says:

I would bet it has to do with the article you wrote about the economist from Chicago, who always works on papers in tandem with others, and stays home making furniture- something like that- I am recalling from memory.

6. edgii says:

7. montag says:

Maybe it figured out that it was you? For example, Google could have some sort of profile of you based on a Gmail account, Google Reader account, etc. I’ve heard that Google is starting to make history-based recommendations now.

8. montag says: