Burglars on the Job

If you worry about your home being burglarized, you might want to take a look at this interview with a burglar who gives some advice about where to hide your valuables. His obvious answer: “at the bank.” But he’s got a few other pointers too, including:

1. If you do keep cash in the house, leave a little of it where the burglar can find it, in the hope that he’ll think that’s all there is.

2. Leave visible a list showing that all your valuables are tucked away in a safe-deposit box.

3. If you have kids, consider hiding cash in their rooms: they’re too messy for a burglar to bother with and burglars assume that parents wouldn’t take a chance of hiding money where their kids might find it.

If you’re looking for more information on how burglars think (short answer: “not much”), take a look at Burglars on the Job, a pretty fascinating book by Richard T. Wright and Scott Decker.

To be sure, there are some pretty crafty burglars out there, like this silver thief I once wrote about, or the jewel thief Alan Golder, a.k.a. The Dinnertime Bandit. But not crafty enough: the silver thief is in prison now, and Golder was recently arrested in Belgium. The silver thief once burglarized a home in New Jersey, stealing all the silver but pointedly leaving undisturbed a pile of cash — as a flip-off to the New Jersey detective who’d been tracking him. The thief just wanted to let the cop know that it was him, the silver connoisseur, who did the job and not some random burglar who’d stoop to grabbing a few bucks.

(Hat tip: Skrzypek Mateusz)

TAGS:

1. lermit says:

Any texts on pundits? I really need to widen my reading list.

.lermit

2. lermit says:

Any texts on pundits? I really need to widen my reading list.

.lermit

3. Innocent Bystander says:

So are run-of-the-mill burglers going to start tossing the childrens’ bedrooms now?

It’s not like they’d be able to tell they were tossed at all . . .

4. Innocent Bystander says:

It’s not like they’d be able to tell they were tossed at all . . .

5. gcooley says:

Well, he is right about the money in the kid’s room. I guarantee that any money hidden in my kids’ rooms will never be seen by any burglar. Or me. Or anyone else not selling Xbox paraphernalia.

6. gcooley says:

7. saharvetes says:

I’d heard of this back-verbing phenomenon, but now I see it in action. Is “burglarized” common in America? What’s wrong with “burgled”? Do you also say “robberized” and “murdererized”?

Interesting article about the silver thief, thanks.

8. saharvetes says:

Interesting article about the silver thief, thanks.