Customer Service Heaven

From a recent N.Y. Times article by Michael Barbaro, headlined “Less Risk Seen in Purchasing Clothes Online”:

For the first time since online retailing was born a decade ago, the sales of clothing have overtaken those of computer hardware and software, suggesting that consumers have reached a new level of comfort buying merchandise on the Web.

One of the merchants mentioned the article is Zappos.com, “a popular online retailer of shoes, jewelry and clothing.” I first heard of Zappos just a few days ago, and what I learned about the company supported Barbaro’s suggestion that consumers are way, way happier with a certain kind of online merchant:

My wife had ordered a pair of sandals from Zappos. When they arrived, she found that they didn’t fit. She tried to order the right size, but Zappos was sold out of her size. So here’s what the company offered: she could return the sandals (for free), Zappos would refund the purchase price and they’d send her a $25 coupon toward her next purchase.

But wait — there’s more! Zappos also offered to try to locate a pair of the sandals in her size from another vendor. (Hah! Sure, they will!) Fifteen minutes later, the company called my wife and told her they’d found her sandals, in her size, at another online merchant — “and,” the Zappos clerk told her, “they’re even cheaper at this other site!”

I am a firm believer in rewarding good behavior, especially when the only alternative is to punish bad behavior. (For example, I would rather give a large tip to a hard-working taxi driver than give a penny to a menacing street beggar.) Guided by this principle, I can’t wait until I need a new pair of shoes, because I will be heading straight to Zappos.

1. CollegeCat says:

You’ve never heard of Zappos? You poor poor man.

I had a similar experience, where I had to return a particularly difficult pair of shoes 4 times to find my size. Shipping is always prompt, customer service is out of this world. In my opinion, the race is between Google and Zappos to run the world.

2. CollegeCat says:

You’ve never heard of Zappos? You poor poor man.

3. editorguy says:

Re: “In my opinion, the race is between Google and Zappos to run the world.”

…And maybe Redfin, too, when they are national and have run the Realtors out of business.

4. editorguy says:

Re: “In my opinion, the race is between Google and Zappos to run the world.”

5. furiousball says:

That’s refreshing, can we get the CEO to an elected office?…nah that would ruin him or her.

6. furiousball says:

7. SBGamesCone says:

Zappos is an amazing store. Why is it so hard for other companies to realize that customer service is the single most important aspect of their business model? Unhappy customers are customers you don’t worry about because they are no longer your customers.

I applaud Zappos efforts and it kind of reminds me of the angle that Progressive takes on car insurance. They know that if they do the customer right, even if it means steering them elsewhere, that they will remember that.

8. SBGamesCone says: