The Second Most Popular Baby Name for Boys in the U.K. — you will be surprised

Before reading further, take a guess at what the five most popular baby names for boys were last year in the U.K. If you can guess No. 2, you are bloody brilliant. If you are like me and not so bloody brilliant, you can find the answer here.

(Hat tip to Matt Hawke.)

TAGS:

1. kentavos says:

I was guessing Harry in honor of the prince and potter. Shows how well I know British culture and only strengthens Weingarten’s argument that locals understand locality better than foreigners.

2. kentavos says:

3. Not surprising at all, although it would be good if they collated more variant names.

The UK has a huge diversity of names – lots of different heritages, and cos we’re small, it permeates rapidly.

4. Not surprising at all, although it would be good if they collated more variant names.

5. Alsadius says:

Nah, that’s an easy one – I read Mark Steyn. It’s actually #1 in a lot of other European countries. Muslims are a minority, but they have a lot more kids than non-Muslims, and they name them a lot more monolithically(at least, as regards the name Mohammed).

6. Alsadius says:

7. calamityjake says:

To me, the really amazing thing is that Alfie is in the top 20. I thought it was an unusual name, only well-known because of the eponymous film (and its recent remake). But I suppose British readers are probably not surprised by that.

8. calamityjake says: