FREAK-TV: Does Sport Cause Crime?

Video

One of our old blog posts — about a French political scientist’s argument that playing sports may make young men more likely to become criminals — has now been turned into a short video. It can be found in our video player.

I suppose it was inevitable: MTV turned pop songs into videos; publishers turn books into videos; now we’re doing it with blog posts. What is the world coming to?

The very talented and creative young man who’s been making our videos is named Nicholas Graham. I think he will win awards some day. Today’s on-screen talent is … well, let’s just say for the moment that she’s an international woman of mystery. More will be revealed later.

1. Doug Nelson says:

Wow, I could listen to her read…Freakonomics. Please?

2. Doug Nelson says:

Wow, I could listen to her read…Freakonomics. Please?

3. Cliff says:

I dunno if you’ve ever looked over Texas’ Death Row list, but the high number of offender’s with the previous occupation of “laborer” makes me more curious if having laborers causes crime.

4. Cliff says:

5. Mario Ruiz says:

Hi Stephen,

I don’t thing so, but it is a classical post from Freakonomics: finding a relationship between two apparently non-connected facts.

I do not much about video more than any movie aficionado. I do not like today’s video. I liked it better the brain teaser one.

Does a blog needs to produce videos? Not necessarily, but it helps. I personally like to go to the point in the least number of seconds. I work hard, but I like to read you guys.

Mario Ruiz
    @ http://www.oursheet.com

6. Mario Ruiz says:

Hi Stephen,

Mario Ruiz
    @ http://www.oursheet.com

7. will holder says:

This reminded me of a story I heard on the radio from sports writer Frank DeFord. He was reporting on a study about the alarming rate of professional wrestlers who have died before the age of 50. On a per capita basis, it would be equal to 400 football players dying per year, or 500 baseball players. While this is interesting on its own merits, I would argue that athletes going into professional wrestling would have a higher percentage of mental health issues.

It would be interesting to hear more about this.

8. will holder says:

It would be interesting to hear more about this.