FREAK-TV Quiz: Steal This Car?

Video

The latest video on FREAK-TV is about a subject that sets many economists’ hearts a-flutter: externalities. It’s a multiple-choice quiz about car theft, asking what’s the best anti-theft measure to use if you want to protect not only your car but others around you. If you need a clue before making your guess, pause the video and take a look at this paper from the Quarterly Journal of Economics.

1. Justin says:

The same argument can be made for concelaed handguns. Since Florida passed a conceal carry law, the majority of street crime (mugging, car-jacking, rape, etc.) is perpetrated against tourists since they will most likely not be legally carrying a concealed weapon. Florida also has laws that require rental cars to use the same prefix, so crooks are shown which people are from out of state and therefore most likely to not be armed.

2. Justin says:

3. Rita: Lovely Meter Maid says:

Not clear to me is how a thief might fear a car has Low Jack, if it’s not visible. Unless the savy stealer assumes that cars in better neighborhoods have this protection?

I think my method works best to deter car thievery (but it is confined to my own car, sad to say). I merely spray-painted in big, black letters on my car’s hood, trunk and sides: THIEF!! STEAL NOT THIS CAR!!!

The humiliation you might imagine I experience for driving such a car is, counterintuitively enough, really rather minor compared to the blessed peace of mind I experience on a daily basis. Odd looks and downright startled glances from other drivers are but a small price to pay for such superb protection.

4. Rita: Lovely Meter Maid says:

5. Jay Levitt says:

How awful, Rita… sure, that protects YOUR car, but think about the encouraging message you’re sending to thieves!

THIEVF – STEAL! (not this car)

6. Jay Levitt says:

THIEVF – STEAL! (not this car)

7. matt says:

a link to the video would be nice…where’s the video? what is Freak TV?

8. matt says:

a link to the video would be nice…where’s the video? what is Freak TV?