A Bookplate Announcement

Once in a while, someone writes to ask if we would autograph his or her copy of Freakonomics. And we say: sure, thanks for asking. But the logistics aren’t very smooth. A person would have to mail the book to one of us, and include a stamped envelope addressed to the other one of us, and another stamped envelope back to the book’s owner. So here’s a better solution: the signed bookplate. A bookplate is a simple but nicely designed sticker that the two of us can sign and then simply mail to you, to be placed inside your book (or on your dashboard or forehead if you want), like one of those old “ex libris” stickers. We’ll even pay the postage. If you’d like a signed bookplate, just fill in your contact information here.

We just sent out the latest batch of a few thousand signed bookplates. If you’ve signed up for a bookplate in the past and didn’t receive it, you should probably sign up again. There was a coding error in the bookplate form, and we’re pretty sure we lost some data. So: apologies for that, and feel free to try again. Note that if you don’t include a postal code, the request can’t be processed.

1. Art Richey says:

I received your bookplate last week and I appreciate this creative method of booksigning. I told a number of my fellow students about the book as well as the bookplate and from these conversations, I have inspired a new group of freakonomics fans and possible economics majors. So, just wanted to send out a quick thanks

2. Art Richey says:

3. Kevin Riegle says:

I had the opportunity to see Professor Levitt speak at Wayne State University in MI but didn’t get my copy signed. This is a great idea. Thank you.

4. Kevin Riegle says:

5. Jared O. says:

Hopefully this kind gesture will stop all the full feed complainers for a while. Thanks, Steves!

6. Jared O. says:

7. Maarten says:

Awesome idea guys! Thanks for paying for the postage! I’ve been reading your blog for some time now, but I haven’t come round to buying the book. Guess I’ll have to now! So for your investment of a few seconds time and a few cents for the stamp you end up selling a book. Now that’s good business if you ask me!

8. Maarten says: