The FREAK-est Links

New York’s most popular baby names in 2006. (Earlier)

The science of four-letter words.

Can immigration levels affect gas prices?

College pharmacies jack up birth control prices, fewer women fill prescriptions.

1. Patrick says:

Seller of a good increases prices, consumers respond accordingly.

The argument could be made that the pill has positive externalities (or a reduction of negative externalities), and hence an argument could be made for its subsidizing.

2. Patrick says:

Seller of a good increases prices, consumers respond accordingly.

3. omodudu says:

I doubt if a blanket statement can be made about immigrants. It ought to read does information affect gas prices and we jolly well know it does.

4. omodudu says:

5. htb says:

I think the contraception headline is misleading. *College pharmacies* are filling fewer BCP prescriptions. They’re also upset because that was a cash cow for them. There’s no evidence that the overall number of BCP prescriptions had declined, or that Planned Parenthood hasn’t seen a corresponding increase. (I utterly discount the anecdotal “some of my friends” remark at the end.)

I still find the idea of on-campus medical facilities to be strange. Sure, first aid and the equivalent of a school nurse is all good. But large facilities, heavily subsidized by taxpayers, with staffs of several physicians, nurse practitioners, and pharmacists? Why can’t students (especially the ones who live off campus) go to the same doc-in-the-box as everyone else in town?

6. htb says:

7. SJ says:

One could argue that college students shouldn’t be relying on the pill for birth control. During those promiscuous years something that also protects against STDs, namely condoms, seems like it would be a much better choice. I know that if I were not in a committed long-term relationship (marriage, in my case) I would consider a condom the far safer protective measure.

I’m not trying to argue that making the pill more expensive is good or even a good way of encouraging condom use (though it may have that effect).

8. SJ says: