Census Fun for Everyone: Zipskinny

Have you all played around with Zipskinny? It’s a site that takes data from the 2000 census and lets you search by ZIP code to see demographic information in your area, and compare it to others: income levels, racial breakdown, unemployment, education level, marital status, etc. It’s pretty basic information, little more than a snapshot, but it’s a good snapshot and a really nice interface.

I would think it’s pretty easy to do a good mashup with crime statistics, using the data from sources like this excellent NYPD site — although ZIP codes and precinct boundaries aren’t the same. The NYPD precincts each generate a weekly crime report, like this one from my neighborhood.

(Hat tip: Matt Wecksell)

1. discordian says:

2000?
    I just moved to this town in 2000 and I’ve seen the demographics change quite a bit given the housing boom in NJ and the amount “adult living” communities than went up in my ZIP area.
    Don’t know how useful 2000 information would be where I live.

2. discordian says:

2000?
    Don’t know how useful 2000 information would be where I live.

3. Drwg says:

#1 It is based on census info. Perhaps we need to do a census more often then.

4. Drwg says:

#1 It is based on census info. Perhaps we need to do a census more often then.

5. zoe says:

NY state used to do its own census, generally in years that ended in five. They stopped after 1925, but perhaps they need to begin again.

6. zoe says:

7. Adam says:

Is census data completely innaccurate in a place like NYC. For example zip code 10003, or the meat packing district… Hasn’t the demographic changed considerably in the last 7 years… also, with such a renter’s economy in NYC, people never stay in their zip very long…. avg lease is 2 years.

8. Adam says: