E. Coli Advertising Campaign?

Evidence that any publicity can be good publicity:

Reading this story about an E. coli outbreak in the pepperoni on Totino’s pizzas reminded me of my 20-year love affair with Totino’s. Why haven’t I been eating them lately? I will have to get some immediately.

Maybe I’ll start with the sausage pizza, though.

1. Peter Carr says:

Remember the Totino’s Party Pizza.
    Reminds me of the good old days on Bellvista Rd.

2. Peter Carr says:

Remember the Totino’s Party Pizza.
    Reminds me of the good old days on Bellvista Rd.

3. Eric says:

At this point you’ve got to figure that Totino’s has the safest pizza in the store, don’t you?

4. Eric says:

5. Toni says:

Is 9 out of 21 enough to base a recall? When thousands proabaly ate those pizzas? It seems to me there should be a more prevelent pattern, but I guess remembering pizza is easier than remembering a more casual possible cause. (hope that made sense.) Given the time span and areas mentioned there could honestly be 21 different causes. We’ve become quite the reactionaries.

6. Toni says:

7. Greg says:

I also got addicted to these in college. I have no idea why I still find this crap delicious!

8. Greg says:

9. Barb says:

According to the news – the E Coli was found in the plant and not in the pepperoni and if you cook the pizza properly, you will kill the bug. No worries – eat away, my friend.

10. Barb says:

11. Chappy says:

I know you asked a while ago about modern inventions/early adopter items. Here’s an old adopter item. A pizza stone. I highly recommend it for cooking pizzas. Apparently you can use any unglazed terracotta type tile from Home Depot if you’re looking to save money. I know you have kids, and it might be fun to make your own. (the dough take 10 minutes to knead and you can store it for later). But maybe the Totinio’s is that great (or E-coli ridden)!?

12. Chappy says:

13. Eli_Cash says:

It was a kind of unintentional tradition of mine in high school to get blazed, microwave a box of pizza rolls, bite into them when they were still too hot, and scorch the entire inside of my mouth so I couldn’t taste anything for a week.

Fond memories.

14. Eli_Cash says:

Fond memories.

15. Silvanus says:

Totino’s Pizza: 99 cents
    E-coli infection: $430 million per annum (http://www.about-ecoli.com/)

This thread: Priceless.

@Eli_Cash: Yes, scraping several layers of skin from the roof of your mouth is common after eating Totinos. Similar things happen with the sharpest cereal in the world, Captain Crunch. Please, stop the food sadomasochism. :P

16. Silvanus says:

Totino’s Pizza: 99 cents
    E-coli infection: $430 million per annum (http://www.about-ecoli.com/)

This thread: Priceless.

17. Matt says:

I’m not even going to ask about how this qualifies as responding to an incentive.

18. Matt says:

19. RUBBA says:

Steven,
    Living here in NY I can understand how hard it is for you to find good pizza in Chicago.

20. RUBBA says:

Steven,

21. Sam Page says:

I still don’t understand why the E.coli doesn’t freeze when the pizzas are frozen. Anyway Steven, if you’re going to go for pizza, skip the freezer section and head to downtown Chicago.

Sam Page

22. Sam Page says:

Sam Page

23. Jen says:

Ah, Totino’s! Spoken like a true son of Minnesota. (Why only 20 years? Did you have a traumatic breakup with T once you left the state?)

24. Jen says:

25. Tim Siedell says:

I actually had the same reaction to the pot pie recall. It’s been years since I had one. Now I kind of want one.

26. Tim Siedell says:

27. Mike says:

My wife made me quit eating them after we got married. I’ll still sneak one when she is out of the evening. Although now I’ll add in some greens too…

28. Mike says:

29. ThankfulR says:

As usual, good, intresting and really useful post for all readers and specially for me, thanks!
    Good luck to you! ;)

30. ThankfulR says:

Good luck to you! ;)

31. Joe Weber says:

Dig the blog a LOT!
    Nice style and I like the way you discuss the problems . I’m going to book mark it. ;)

32. Joe Weber says: