The FREAK-est Links

The next generation of sports viewing: fiber-optic fields.

BusinessWeek profiles James Altucher. (Earlier)

A case for the rationality of voting. (Related)

The latest in e-mail trends: “Don’t Print Me” messages. (Earlier)

1. CMP says:

Last Saturday, as the Tennessee Vols eeked out a win over the Vanderbilt Commodores, I told my fellow season ticket holder to the left about my bright idea. That idea was to incorporate the yellow first down marker seen on TV into a fiber optic based field. Looks like I’m late to the game…again. Sigh.

cp@speedvine.com

2. CMP says:

cp@speedvine.com

3. Stephen de las Heras says:

I think the guy is absolutely right about voting being rational. Economists do seem to have a blind spot about the ways humans sometimes behave collectively. You might as well argue that it is irrational for an ant to work for its colony. Of course humans are not a completely unselfish species, but they are not completely selfish either.

4. Stephen de las Heras says:

5. Philippe Desaulniers says:

So, of all emails that get printed for a reason or another, a growing number will have a line or two saying “please don’t print”, perhaps with a nice graphic.

Of these, some of them are bound to get printed on an extra page BECAUSE of the extra line / graphic. That’s the environmental cost of adding the line.

How many pages will *not* get printed BECAUSE the recipient read the line and decided not to print because of that? That’s the benefit.

I’m no expert, and I don’t have the exact numbers, but intuitively, I would say the cost/benefit ratio of adding the line probably isn’t that good.

6. Philippe Desaulniers says:

7. Eric says:

It’s sadly ironic the 2% of the time when message “Please consider the environment before printing this email” causes a printout to run to an extra page.

8. Eric says: