Computer Security Guru Bruce Schneier Will Now Take Your Questions

Bruce Schneier

Bruce Schneier could probably find out just about everything about you without breaking a sweat. He has built a career out of discovering weaknesses in computer systems and has analyzed security flaws in everything from biometrics to post-9/11 airline security. The designer of the popular Blowfish and Twofish encryption algorithms (the latter was a finalist for the Federal Advanced Encryption Standard), he has even earned a namecheck in The Da Vinci Code. Schneier is also the founder and C.T.O. of BT Counterpane, which calls itself “the world’s leading protector of networked information.”

In addition to writing a popular security newsletter and a blog, Schneier has also written a slew of books on the subject, including the seminal Applied Cryptography, Secrets and Lies, and his latest, Beyond Fear: Thinking Sensibly about Security in an Uncertain World.

He has kindly agreed to field your questions. Just keep in mind that even if you ask anonymously, he can probably figure out who you are.

Addendum: You can read the answers to these questions here.

1. Aaron says:

I appreciate the opportunity to ask a question. I have two:

1) If we can put a man on the moon, why in the world can’t we design a computer that can COLD BOOT nearly instantaneously? I know about hibernation, etc., but when I do have to reboot, I hate the three or four minutes to completion.

2) Assuming we are both still here in 50 years, what do you believe will be the most incredible, fantastic, mind-blowing advance in computers/technology during this time?

Thank you!

2. Aaron says:

I appreciate the opportunity to ask a question. I have two:

Thank you!

3. Jim says:

Considering the carelessness with which the Government (state and federal) and commercial enterprises treat our confidential information (demonstrated almost daily), is it essentially a waste of effort for we as individuals to worry about securing our data? Thanks,

4. Jim says:

5. Yuliy says:

With regard to identity theft, do you see any alternatives to data being king?

Right now, if I know enough about you, I can basically become you in the eyes of many companies, especially those that deal with people only over the internet or mail. Do you see any alternative systems which will mean that just knowing enough about someone is not enough to pretend to be them?

In a previous time, in-person contact was effective: I can figure out if you’re the same person I talked to last time we supposedly met. What’s the next identity verification system?

6. Yuliy says:

With regard to identity theft, do you see any alternatives to data being king?

7. AK says:

How do you remember all of your passwords?

Thanks.

8. AK says:

How do you remember all of your passwords?

Thanks.