160,000 Four-Leaf Clovers?

This doesn’t really seem possible, but Edward Martin has found 160,000 four-leaf clovers. I’ve been looking my whole life and never found one.

Trying to find one was my main reason for playing Pee Wee Baseball, but then I got moved from outfield to shortstop and my baseball career ended shortly thereafter.

How fast does Martin find them? He is 76 years old. Let’s say he has spent an average of two hours a day looking for the last sixty years. That would be about 44,000 hours. Could he really find one every fifteen minutes? That seems unbelievable, but maybe some blog-reading four-leaf clover hunters can weigh in on that issue. Possibly he spent a lot more hours per day hunting.

The best part of the Chicago Tribune article is that his closest competitor got locked up in a prison that didn’t have any clover, allowing Martin to surge past him for the record.

1. discordian says:

why spend all that time looking for mutants?

2. Kevin says:

take a look at the 1986 movie “Manhattan Project.” All those 4 leafs probably aren’t natural.

For the record, I’ve found one in my life when I 9 or 10.

3. Diversity says:

Four leaf clovers come in clusters. I found a couple of them when a kid, and never looked purposefully for a four leaf clover thereafter. I guess Martin has developed an ability to pick up indications of where clusters are likely to be found.

Once and once only I have seen a five leaf clover. A child found it. I checked it and it was a clover. Maybe that little girl should have claimed some sort of record.

4. Rachel says:

I have never found a four leaf clover, I can’t believe he has dedicated so much of his life to this, but hey everyone has a hobbie. I wonder what he does with them all??

Rachel
    The baked blogger

5. desmoquattro says:

I believe the genetic difference in a four-leaf clover causes a subtle change in the chemistry of the plant which affects the wavelength of light that a four-leaf clover reflects as compared to a typical three-leaf clover. For a majority of the population the color is indistinguishable, although some people are sensitive to the change and actually see four-leaf clovers as BLUE (much like the effects people with certain color blindness experience).

This may be an urban legend, and someone here may know otherwise, but I distinctly remember reading about this phenomenon a long time ago.

6. Steven says:

How is it possible that so many readers have not found four-leaf clovers? I’m from the suburbs of Atlanta and have found many, so perhaps there is a greater probability of finding them here than where y’all grew up.

7. Naim says:

If I had 44,000 extra hours, I’d do something more productive, like watch tv.

8. Tsvi says:

I don’t know if watching tv (7) is necessarily more productive, but I definitely agree with the sentiment that there are better ways to waste one’s time.