Bob Dylan Understands the Weak Economy

The 8th installment in Bob Dylan‘s “bootleg” series is a two-disc set called Tell Tale Signs, and it is set to be released next Tuesday (October 7). But until then, you can listen to it for free on National Public Radio, here. Yep, free. But as I understand it, this only lasts until the official release next week.

I just started listening, and can say that if you like his recent stuff at all (from Oh Mercy, through Modern Times), you’ll love this album.

INSERT DESCRIPTIONPhoto: oddsock

1. Randall Johnton says:

This Wall St. week reminded me of this:

“The whole world is filled with speculation
    The whole wide world which people say is round
    They will tear your mind away from contemplation
    They will jump on your misfortune when you’re down

They will crush you with wealth and power
    Every waking moment you could crack”

“Ain’t Talkin’”, Bob Dylan, 2006

2. PekeCMS says:

I find this really creative. Bob Dylans has changed it all from reading to listening. This would be great for those on the run that have an ipod and could listen to what Bob Dylan has to say on their way to work, or drive. I would like to ask Rondoll Johnton who Bob Dylan really is. It seems like you know who he is, because being from an overseas country I haven’t had so much interactiion with the American News… Thanks Johnton.

3. sarahCMS says:

This is very interesting, just like Charlie Chaplin used to make movies reflecting what was happening in the United States when they were in war in the 1940s. This is song will probably captivate the attention of more people, since its an “entrataining” way to learn about the world. Definitely very captivating! And the fact that the song is free may work as an incentive and many people will listen it.

4. science minded says:

Perhaps readers are not aware of a pop song these days just about this topic- mercy- AS it spells out, “I’m beggin you for mercy- release me.” Bob does not stand alone in his concern. It is not easy listening to one’s self and others sound off about our times.

5. Sean Murdock says:

If Bob Dylan understood the weak economy, he wouldn’t be allowing his record label (Sony) to charge $130 for a “deluxe” edition of Tell Tale Signs containing a crucial third CD and a completely superfluous hardcover picture book. The blog entry was fine, but whoever wrote the title missed the mark.

6. Truth Hurts says:

I wonder how much Victoria’s Secret’s stock will be effected by this?

7. Derick says:

Sean, there’s actually insightful economic theory behind the selling of “deluxe/premium/blah” versions of things and so long as the cheaper version also exists it applies under any economic situation.

8. Marite says:

Yes it is wonderful that Bob Dylan allowed his new album to be streamed from NPR…

One of my friends came over and we spent most of the evening listening to this 2 CD album! It is really full of great songs, most of them previously unreleased, and interesting alternate takes on some of the songs that had been on recent albums…

I want to express our appreciation to Bob Dylan for doing this with NPR!