What's in a Name? Four Thousand and Fifty Dollars

It may be a gag, but from the looks of this eBay page, someone just sold the naming rights for her unborn baby — and two pairs of Nike Air baby booties — for $4,050.

She doesn’t care what name the buyer chooses, but hopes it’s not one that will get her child’s “butt kicked.”

The seller writes she did it because after having three kids, “the novelty of ‘naming the baby’ has worn off.”

But she adds another reason:

I have a huge pile of unpaid bills (mostly) medical expenses from this pregnancy, [and] I don’t have maternity coverage … If I have to stop working before the day I go into labor, then I’m probably gonna lose my house and my car. So what’s a girl to do?

Did the buyer see an opportunity for creative charitable giving, or is there some other hidden benefit to naming a child that’s worth paying $4,050 for?

According to the seller, the chosen name — and maybe a motive — will be revealed on her blog shortly.

(Hat tip: Hulya Eraslan)

1. Ben says:

This is shameful. If you’re ‘adventurous’ and like ‘taking risks,’ then auction off the rights for someone to change YOUR name. Don’t saddle your child with a potentially life-altering moniker just because you want an easy way to make some extra cash.

2. Craig says:

Perhaps the name will be “Loser.” It has a 100% success rate in molding upstanding citizens.

3. Eric M. Jones says:

I have known people with names that sparked immediate interest. I knew a Captain and there are apparently several Doctor Doctor’s (or is it Doctor’s Doctor…?). Along this line of thought I would suggest:

“Commander Lance Savage”.

Or some such. I think people make MUCH too big a deal of names. Have fun. As long as no fraud is intended the law lets you call yourself whatever you want–that’s why they give you a social security number.

4. Leland Witter says:

E. Bay Jones (or Smith or whatever the last name is)

5. Josh Nixon says:

If the buyer chooses a horrible name, perhaps the mother can offset the statistical likelihood of her child performing poorly in school by purchasing lots of books.

6. JoseAngelCMS says:

I am personally against selling the naming rights of your unborn baby to a stranger, but with the economic situation that is going on around the world, it might be the only way to get some money. If people have enough money to live well, then, they should not sell the naming rights of their son, but if the money they have is not being enough, and selling the naming rights is the only way to get some money, then, as a rational human being, the right thing to do would be to sell the naming rights.
    In the particular case explained above, the mother did the right thing to do, she was suffering with all the unpaid bills and all of that, and the extra money gained by selling these rights, might be the only way to get out of the economic problems she is having at the moment.

7. rw says:

If you are already having trouble paying your bills, maybe having a 4th child isn’t a great idea.

Just saying…

8. Allison says:

Who cares about the naming rights? The more important question is why is she having another child that she can’t afford?
    *Sigh*