Ten Thousand Dollars for a Music CD?

If Josh Freese‘s music exhibits as much creativity as his marketing, he should have a hit record on his hands.

Freese, who was part of Devo in a previous life, has just released a new album. While $10,000 might sound like a lot to pay for a copy of the CD, at that price he will also go on rides at Disneyland with you; and at the end of the day you get to have his Volvo station wagon. For $50, you get the CD and a five-minute phone call with Josh. Or you can just take the digital download alone for $7.

(Hat tip: Barry Ramsey. See Consumerist’s write-up here.)

1. Kevin says:

Ten thousand dollars? Why, for that, I could get…. a single ticket the Jonas Brothers.

2. Billy says:

I think you got April Fooled Steven.

3. MikeG says:

I never thought I’d see Josh Freese in a freakonomics blog!

One of the best drummers in the business. Love the Vandals.

4. C. Larity says:

I realize the joke here, but my joke is better: The only way anything from Devo is selling for $10,000 is if it’s in Zimbabwean currency.

5. Derek says:

I second MikeG!

This is not an April Fools joke. Josh has done such a great job of promoting himself. Kudos to him!

6. Paul says:

Billy: The Consumerist/Wired articles about the album are from over a week ago (March 23/24).

Clarity: The $20,000 package (Minigolf with famous people) has supposedly been sold.

7. econobiker says:

Finally some artists are figuring out how to get around the ancient record sales model in order to make money.

I have often proposed that concert venues auction off their tickets to remove the scalper prices and help enrich the actual artist.

Or give out fan loyalty points for actual items sold- cd’s, shirts, books, dvds, etc which entitles the fan for increasing levels of access to concerts or to the artist depending on the loyalty points accrued.

8. Kevin says:

It’s not a joke – my friend got a call from him on Sunday, so he’s serious about the $50 ones at the very least.