Zimbabwe’s Novel Currency

Zimbabwe’s currency has been essentially worthless in-country for months. Now the Zimbabwe dollar is officially worth more on eBay, where collectors can snap up a few trillion-dollar notes for less than $25. Technically, a currency exchange would give you 37 million Zimbabwe dollars for every U.S. dollar, but since Zimbabwe’s government recently suspended its currency altogether, you probably shouldn’t bother. They’re worth far more as novelty items. (HT: Paul D) [%comments]

TAGS: ,

1. Björn says:

I just bought a 100 trillion dollar bill from zimbabwe on ebay for about 5 US dollars. Lots of money doesnt buy happiness, i know that now, at least the zimbabwean kind.

2. Ray Ray says:

I have an old Monopoly board with game pieces, but the play money has dwindled over the years… it’s not really enough for four players.

Now I think I’ll just order a few Trillion on ebay and play a little game of Zimbabwe Billionaire Monopoly!

Might be cheaper than a nice set of poker chips too… Zimbabwe Billionaire Poker!

3. Chris says:

Did you just increase the novelty value a little more?

4. Steve says:

I was at the border of Zimbabwe and Zambia (by Victoria Falls) this past June. The lead item being hawked to the people walking the bridge between the countries was large-denomination Zimbabwean currency, so even the locals were well aware of the novelty value of all of those zeroes.

5. Brendan says:

While stationed in Afghanistan about six years ago, I bought a lot of the local currency from peddlers who sold them to coalition troops as a novelty. The exchange rate at the bazaar seemed to favor those on my end of the transaction, and I assumed that the US dollar was valued more highly than its economic value due to its relative stability. For a while, I thought about making a little money on this transaction, but I soon discovered that the banknotes I bought were discontinued notes issued by the Taliban and replaced by the new government, and were literally worthless on the economy. Still, I wound up with a nifty collection and a much needed hobby for my down time.

6. Eric M. Jones says:

The largest denomination banknote ever circulated was the 1946 Hungarian 100 quintillion Pengo note… (100,000,000,000,000,000,000, or 10E20). This was worth 20 US cents. So Zimbabwe’s currency is on very solid ground in comparison.

7. Ben says:

I just bid on one too…….. ah, the magic of the internets

8. Ausman says:

It’s so sad. Zimbabwe was once the shining jewel in Africa. Shame.