London Calling

Just announced: Levitt and Dubner’s sold-out lecture at London’s Royal Society for the Encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce (RSA) will be webcast live on Tuesday, November 10, 2009, at 13:00 GMT (that’s 8 a.m. Eastern — or use this handy calculator to find the time where you live). One day earlier, they are also speaking at the London School of Economics; negotiations are still underway to temporarily rename it LSF. [%comments]

1. Richard, UK says:

Ah I wish I had known about this earlier! Would have definately gone, even if it was just to heckle…. Just got my copy so wouldn’t have had much to question anyway.

2. Mel says:

The More or Less program claims it will be off the air until December 11.

Any more info about this or is it being recorded for a later date?

3. Simon says:

I tried to book for the LSE talk. I had it in my diary for 10am when the tickets would be released (free of charge). However, I was away from my computer for ten minutes, came back, saw the reminder. Went to the website and saw that all the tickets were gone. Well done. When the price is zero…

4. Richard, UK says:

Probably not an efficient allocation of tickets, how many people won’t turn up!

5. science minded says:

The trouble is, in a manner of speaking, I tried calling London, England. No response. Perhaps one on one, you will have an easier time getting through– though I am inclined to doubt it. With a few exceptions, they don’t quite get the fact that there are no free lunches. Not here or there.

6. Silas Barta says:

Was that supposed to be funny?

7. GO says:

To 6: LSF = London School of Freakonomics.
    It IS funny :)

8. science minded says:

Dear Silas;

It is not so funny because it is time for some one to step foreward on behalf of the Science of Economics and speak out–

Now as far as political science has been a concern, when two civilizations clash a bit on such relatively basic questions as love (which strives after objects) and hunger (which aims towards survival)- I see no advantage in trying to fight a losing battle for all concerned. At best, a real mutual orientation in the struggle for advantages and for survival, may well make for a real beneficial situation for all concerned long term. At the very least, it can make for a coordinated effort to preserve our planet and our relatively different ways of life on it.