Introducing Freakonomics Radio: A Podcast About the Hidden Side of Everything

I have always loved radio. There’s something magical about the combination of listening intimacy and the technology of widespread transmission. Some of my firmest memories are radio memories: as a kid, listening to WGY in Schenectady, N.Y., on snowy mornings to find out if school was closed; hearing the Clash’s “Train in Vain” for the first time and thinking it must have been a mistake, that no radio station could ever play a song so raw and great; learning to

D.J. in college and sending coded messages to a girl I needed to get with.

It is amazing to me that, as much as media has changed in recent decades, the fundamental appeal of radio remains intact — and, in some ways, is much stronger. Technology has helped the cause; podcasts are a radio lover’s heroin.

DESCRIPTION

So it is with great pleasure that I announce the launch of Freakonomics Radio, a podcast. We’re just finishing up our first episode. It’ll be called “What Do NASCAR Drivers, Glenn Beck, and the Hitmen of the NFL Have in Common?” It features interviews with all the people named in the title, along with a good dose of Levitt; I’m the host.

Here’s a brief preview in which we hatch our evil plan to make the podcast. Levitt talks about what the world would be like if economists ran it. Highlights: “unpleasant,” “demented,” but “efficient.” Feedback welcome — especially suggestions for topics or stories you’d like to hear.

[Update: You can now subscribe to the podcast at iTunes here; or get the RSS feed here.]

A Preview (“Let’s Keep it Short”)

1. DKG says:

Looking forward to subscribing on iTunes. Dump the music though – the plinking sound was rather annoying.

2. et says:

What Do NASCAR Drivers, Glenn Beck, and the Hitmen of the NFL Have in Common?

They are all American men.

Says something about your perspective, I think.

3. Egad! says:

“sending coded messages to a girl I needed to get with”

thanks for sharing that, Dubner!

4. Trekkie says:

Sounds good – to be honest I’d love to follow what you guys do but the blog/RSS feed is a bit too much (there’s like 5+ items per day and most of them by random authors other than the Freaknomomics authors and talking about just about anything).

Perhaps the podcast will be more focused and filter only the best stuff.

5. Rocky says:

Remember to offer a basic rss or xml feed for those of us who own mp3 players that are not manufactured by Apple.

6. Fynn says:

Please set up a way to subscribe via standard RSS, and not just iTunes!

7. jason says:

Is there a URL to subscribe to the podcast? THanks.

8. Harry says:

Et, not all NASCAR drivers are Americans (or men) and there are plenty of Canadian hockey players. I don’t think that says anything about your perspective.