What Should Apple Do?

Last week, Bruce Schneier kindly agreed to participate in a quorum we were putting together on the now-infamous incident in which an Apple employee apparently left a new prototype iPhone in a California bar. Our quorum didn’t come together, but Schneier has posted his excellent response on his blog. “Apple needs to fix its security problem,” he concludes, “but only after it figures out where the problem is.”[%comments]

1. Eve, from Eden. says:

Apple should get to the core of this, and if something seedy took place, the crime will bear its fruit.

2. J. says:

I don’t think that this was so much a breech of security but a planned ‘accident’ or leak.
    I mean, someone just “happens” to bring the phone to a bar where they “forget” it and a tech savvy person just ‘happens” to find it and can identify it as a new iPhone prototype, knows who to contact for the leak?
    Just seems far too coincidental to me.
    I suspect that it’s a brilliant marketing tactic – I know lots of people that are putting of replacing phones because they know that Apple is coming out with a new and improved iPhone this summer and that’s on their wish list.

3. Kirk Strobeck says:

Policy shouldn’t create scars.

Apple hasn’t seen this type of breach before and they shouldn’t anticipate it in the future. I hope Apple will chalk it up to a fluke and move along, otherwise we can anticipate less inspired development, slower timelines, and obviously, inadequate real-world testing.

4. Tim says:

I love how Apple is seen as so powerful and omniscient that even when they make a mistake it’s seen as a brilliant display of intentional marketing.

5. J. says:

@Tim
    If this had been an Android phone or a Palm, I would be saying the same thing. Just too coincidental and bizarre to be a ‘real’ breach in my opinion. It’s not like tech specs were mailed in my a disgruntled ex employee. This was found in a bar!!

6. Walt French says:

Apple took a risk by allowing a human being to field-test a prototype.

They mitigated the risk by camouflaging it as an oh-so-common iPhone. It seems the mitigation largely succeeded in that the phone was solidly bricked before any unusual behavior was detected.

In a well-functioning society-one that I’d like to live in-Apple would have received the phone back intact inside of 24 hours. Coincidentally, a co-worker lost his (original) iPhone a week earlier; he’d sure like IT returned, as would we all if we were in the circumstance.

But the police now allege that illegal activity caused it to be diverted, to be disassembled and a few of its secrets spilled. And we’re celebrating what?

7. Drift Marlo says:

There is no way this was an accident. Just saying.

8. Bill McGonigle says:

C’mon, Apple isn’t going to involve a police raid in a PR stunt. Then again, how much could they be fined for doing so?