R.I.P. John Delaney, Prediction Market Entrepreneur

I’m saddened to learn that John Delaney died attempting to reach the summit of Everest. Readers of this blog will know John as the leader of my favorite prediction market, InTrade (and before that, TradeSports). John, or his data, and sometimes his stories, have long graced the pages of this blog, including this Q&A with Dubner. His colleagues know him as an energetic entrepreneur, always trying new things.  I also know John as a friend and a collaborator, who was also willing to help crazy academics like myself run new prediction markets, crunch data his markets had generated, or debate what it all means, over a Guinness.

And as much as I knew John as a madcap Irishmen, and true sports fan, I never expected to hear of him drawing his last breath just meters short of the highest peak in the world.  Press reports — which include the agonizing detail that John died without knowing his wife just gave birth to a baby girl – are available here and here.

TAGS:

1. Bill says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Disliked! Like or Dislike: Thumb up 14 Thumb down 21
  2. Chad says:

I think his priorities were out of whack.

3. Joe says:

Very sad news. But I can’t help and wonder why he was climbing Everest instead of being with his pregnant wife.

4. Dan F says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Disliked! Like or Dislike: Thumb up 2 Thumb down 10
  5. Jim says:

I can’t possibly imagine leaving my wife to attempt one of the most dangerous feats on earth as she is ready to give birth. Even more obvious with a 2- and 3-year old at home.

I did run the Big Sur Marathon across the country with my wife 8 months pregnant with our first child. But my cellphone was at hand at all times and I was ready to head home on the next plane if necessary. I can’t imagine being both out of communication range and around the world at such a momentous occasion.

6. Adam says:

Selfish egomaniac. Nothing else to say.

7. Dmol says:

Jesus, the man lost his life, yet a lot of the comments here are jumping at the chance to bash him.