The Suicide Attempt That Ended With a Kiss

(Stockbyte)

Having just completed an hour-long radio program on suicide, and having just visited mainland China for the first time, I was drawn to this incredibly moving story from Shenzhen, by Shi Yingying in China Daily:

Like a real life version of Snow White, Liu Wenxiu‘s kiss literally saved the life of a 16-year-old boy.

Liu just passing by a pedestrian bridge in downtown Shenzhen on June 11 when she spotted hundreds of onlookers watching a young man with a knife in his hand, threatening to jump.

“I saw him get more and more excited – everybody around was just looking, nobody was trying to step up and help,” said Liu, a 19-year-old hotel waitress.

“He had to be saved – because I’ve been there before and I knew exactly how it was,” continued Liu, who had attempted suicide several times. …

“He told me he didn’t have a home anymore, nobody cared about him and no one trusted him. I said nothing but showed him the scars on my right wrist. … With the boy crying even harder, Liu knew he had a sense of being understood.

“He said he’s hopeless, ‘so don’t waste your time to save me’. But I told him, ‘I’m not saving your life, I just want you to realize how silly you are being. Look at me, I’ve been there and I’m now here,’” she said.

The negotiation on the bridge ended like a romantic comedy when Liu hugged the boy and kissed him unexpectedly. Police took advantage of the situation to take away the boy’s knife and pull him inside the handrail of the bridge.

“When I kissed him and when he put his hand (with the knife) on my waist, both of us were crying so hard,” she said. “But I was happy as I knew I had saved him.”

I do wonder what will become of him, and of her, and — who knows? — perhaps even of the two of them.

TAGS: ,

1. Shane says:

A moving story indeed, well done to her.

I wonder should professionals who deal with suicidal individuals themselves be people who have recovered from the brink as this woman did? I have never been there, so I wouldn’t know what to say to a suicidal person.

• crquack says:

Same principle as recovering addicts being best at treating addiction, obese people helping others lose weight etc. etc.

Extra credit to the young lady for coming forward unbidden.

• amy says:

Actually, it’s the same principle as formerly obese people helping people lose weight. And if you hadn’t noticed, that is mostly who does help people lose weight. Ever walk into a WeightWatchers? All their staff are people who lost the weight. I do think they know best.

• Nathan says:

I have never made an actual attempt, but I have had to talk myself out of it many times. What works are things that contradict hopelessness and offer more control and things to live for.

• Caitlyn says:

the problem there is that dealing with suicidal people on a daily basis may risk pulling them back into that spiral – certainly someone who has been there (wherever “there” is – suicide, addiction, eating disorders, etc) can be a great help, but it requires a lot of care and relying on them is probably not the best route.

Not that I have the faintest idea what I would say to someone who is suicidal. My sister has been that depressed a couple of times (she has continual migraine headaches, and has had it for years) and I could probably talk to her okay, but I’m not at all sure about anyone else.

2. MAYANK SHARMA says:

agreed…there are people living lives more dysfunctional than ours…whenever we feel bad…we can always seek such people around us and feel happy that at least we are not like them…in fact we can be a bit proud of that…i know that it is a bit wrong but if it can save them from committing suicide then it is definitely not wrong…

3. christian louboutin says:

4. Jen says:

It is always the one who have similar experience can walk into a broken heart.
    The girl is brave and has a beautiful heart. BRAVO

5. Eric M. Jones. says:

Two blondes are in a bar. On TV they see a guy threatening to jump off a bridge.

The first blonde says, “I’ll bet he doesn’t jump”.
    The second blonde says, “I’ll bet you a drink he does.”

Then the guy jumps.

The first blonde says “Okay, I’ll buy you a drink.”
    The second blonde says, “Actually, I saw this on the early news.”

The first blonde says. “I did too, but I sure didn’t think he’d do it again!”