New Statistics About American Veterans

Sure, serving in the military long-term will likely make you a decent living, but what about the other effects military service has on veterans today? A new research paper from the Pew Research Center takes a look at the attitude of and challenges to American veterans returning from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. A total of 1,853 veterans were surveyed, and the poll shows some surprising things. Here are a few of the results:

• 96 percent of veterans are proud of their military service.
  • 90 percent said they gained self confidence.
  • 37 percent say that, whether diagnosed or not, they have experienced post traumatic stress.
  • 44 percent had problems readjusting to civilian life.
  • 34 percent say that (given the costs and benefit) the wars were worth fighting.
  • 11.5 percent were unemployed in 2010.
  • 16 percent were seriously injured while serving.
  • 84 percent think the American public has little to no understanding of the problems that the military faces.

1. Rex McClure says:

Interesting study. I would like to see a future study look at the long term effects of service on socio-economic success factors (degrees, employment, earnings, etc.). It would be particularly interesting to study a cohort of military service vets vs. non-vets vs. peace corps vets. Anybody have $30,000 in grant money burning a hole in their pocket?

2. Joe Dokes says:

I don’t see what is so “surprising” about the results.

Yes, most should be proud of their service, they are a dedicated group who have been given difficult tasks and have largely accomplished what was expected of them. Even when the task was nearly impossible, ie Iraq.

War is traumatic, I am not surprised that 37% would suffer PTSD.

Military life is highly regimented, having difficulty adjusting to a higher degree of freedom should be expected.

I am not surprised at all that only a third say the wars were worth it. When you see the real and traumatic costs of war up close and personal they would be less likely to support future ill conceived military adventures. Look at Iraq, what started out as a simple regime change turned into full blown nation building in a region in which a myriad of religious and tribal groups have a long colorful history of killing one another. Then there is Afghanistan in which we quickly overthrew the taliban and then let the country fester for nearly a decade, before investing any effort to help them build an ordered society.

Considering the level of serious injury and the fact that many Military jobs are not immediately useful in the civilian world, I am not surprised by the higher level of unemployment.

Finally considering you think the results are “surprising” simply affirms the belief of many in the Military that civilians don’t understand what they do.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

• frankenduf says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Disliked! Like or Dislike: Thumb up 3 Thumb down 8
      • George says:

96 percent said they were proud of their *service*. There’s a lot more to any veteran’s service than time spent in Afghanistan or Iraq.

• Aaron says:

Way to twist the facts into a piece of information that you prefer to see. A true politician in the making.

3. Horatio says:

I can honestly say any and all success I have had in my career as a senior manager and executive at 3 Fortune 500 companies was a direct result of the leadership skills I learned while in the United States Marine Corps.

I recall having trouble adjusting to civilian life after my service ( please note I served in peace time and do not compare my service to those in the military today). The sense of purpose was so strong each day and the commitment to one another and the mission has been difficult to replicate in civilian life. I can only imagine what those serving today deal with coming home today in war time.

As to your comment about making a decent living. Military pay is ok and the retirement inviting but let me assure you if someone is in long enough to receive one they have earned it and then some. It is a tough life of difficult jobs, separation and hardship.

I was particularly saddened to see the unemployment rate for vets in the survey. Employers should know vets are among the very best workers they could hire. In addition the government does little to help people leaving the service. You almost have to hit the lottery of timing to have your service contract expire and a job opening coincide. You can’t ‘quit’ early to take another job. I am sure this contributes to the employment problem.
    It is no surprise they feel most people don’t understand the military. Just like I can’t understand combat even though I was a Marine. I didn’t experience it so I can’t completely understand it.

Even so I do believe most Americans appreciate what our military does and the sacrifice it takes to service.

Thank you for your service one and all.

4. Voice of reason says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Disliked! Like or Dislike: Thumb up 10 Thumb down 16
    • Cralis says:

“Sometimes people join the military due to family tradition or a strong sense of duty and patriotism, but usually it’s because they don’t have opportunities as a civilian.”

At least one study in recent years has debunked that tired old myth. The military has not been that way since the draft was dissolved.

• AM says:

You have lost your mind, I hire doctors for the military as either in medical school with our Health Professions Schloarship Program which pays 100% tuition plus they get a monthly allowance of $2,122 and yes that’s to any medical or dental or vet school in the country that they are accepted to. , or I hire direct doctors either full or part time with bonuses only from $75,000-400,000. and this is not including their salaries which makes it even higher. So get your facts straight first instead of listening to the TV. and if they choose part time then they may qualify for a $250,000 student loan repayment. Again why don’t you do two things, go to the VA website and look up veterans statistics and then talk to an military recruiter, then you wont be looking like a complete head on backwards….geesh (ok so i misspelled schlorship)

5. Mike says:

Most of my information is the result of personal anecdotes.

I fought in Iraq from the end of 2003 to the beginning of 2005. I agree with most of what is said.

I am a little unclear as to why the unemployment number is so high. The reason being, is that if I didn’t start my own company, I would be unemployed. This particular war for soldiers should be a study in working independently. While general orders are given, often critical decisions have to be made at the team and even individual soldier level.

My experience was further tainted by unqualified and unimaginative leadership. I realize there are many good officers, but when your life is on the line, you often can’t just say, “yes, sir” if your PL or CO is a lacking in the intelligence arena.

That said, nearly every member of my platoon had at least a bachelor’s degree (we were national guard) and about seven of us had Master’s degrees.

Two have gone on to be physicians, and everyone else is either employed in a managerial role or self-employed and making their own fortune.

To address the point about people not understand. No one can understand it. That’s why the friendships forged during combat are lifelong friendships. We address each other always as “brother”. While no one else can understand, I can think of no higher honor than serving in the United States military in combat and I don’t expect people to understand.

• Mike says:

@Voice of reason

It is exactly that attitude that leads to veteran unemployment. I had a 32 ACT score when I joined the military, instead of going to college.

I joined and worked 8 years in Telecommunications. I separated after obtaining my BA in Info Sys Management. I spoke with the HR manager at a local TelCo to discuss my skills, and he said that I had no experience that he could recommend, as “military experience doesn’t count”. I ended up taking the lowest job in the company for 12 an hour, (about what unemployment pays).

I was offered another job a month after, because I had the non-military position on the top of my resume, and moved up… but it is a pretty sad state of affairs when SSgt, is some how lower than level one DSL repair support.