One More Time: Most Notable Quote of 2011

Since my last posting elicited many helpful comments, let me repeat it this week in hope of getting even more input:

I’m starting to think about my annual list, run by the Associated Press, of the top 10 most notable quotations of the year. By “notable” I mean “important” or “famous” or “particularly revealing of the spirit of our times” rather than necessarily being eloquent or admirable. Last year’s winners were a tie between Tony Hayward‘s “I’d like my life back” and Christine O’Donnell‘s “I’m not a witch.”

I would welcome suggestions of notable quotations from 2011, particularly ones from politics or popular culture or entertainment or sports or business or technology.

1. RGJ says:

Short and sweet. RIP comedian Greg Giraldo. At the Comedy Central Roast he was introduced by Kathy Griffin. He replied “Thank you Tranny Bonaduce.”

2. RGJ says:

This will be especially noted if he gets on the ticket as Veep, but New Jersey Governor and all around mook Cris Christie made his national reputation as Hurricane Irene approached New Jersey:

“You know I saw some of these news feeds upstairs of people sitting on the beach on Asbury Park. Get the hell off the beach in Asbury Park and get out. You’re done. It’s 4:30, you’ve maximized your tan. Get the hell off the beach.”

3. Ben says:

“not intended to be a factual statement” Jon Kyl’s response when he was called out on a blatant lie.

4. George says:

“Lybia…let’s see…Lybia…”

The Great Cain in his moment.

5. Sumeet says: