Eating and Tweeting

Our Freakonomics Radio project includes a regular podcast and Marketplace segment. But twice a year, we also produce a set of five one-hour specials that play on public-radio stations across the country. Find a station near you.

Season 2, Episode 4

In this episode, we look at the tension between “slow food” – a return to the past – and the food future. You’ll hear from slow-food champion Alice Waters and uber-modernist Nathan Myhrvold, who advocates bringing more science into the kitchen – including, perhaps, a centrifuge, a pharmaceutical freeze drier and … a food printer?

Also in this episode: we delve into the social mores of Twitter. Is it a two-way street? Do you have to follow someone on Twitter to garner a large following yourself? Or are the mores of a digital friendship different from those in real life? Hear about the Twitter give-and-take from sociologist Duncan Watts. Also, Justin Halpern parleyed his hit Twitter feed “Shit My Dad Says” into a best-selling book and a TV show; we learn about the one guy he follows. And Steve Levitt weighs in on just how important (or not) Twitter is in his life.

1. Adriel says:

Will you eventually move the 1 hour specials to podcast? I’m in Canada and don’t have any of those stations near enough to listen to.

2. James says:

It seems to me that immediately publishing your one-hour Freakonomics Radio segments to your regular podcast would make more sense. Further embrace social media and all the listeners that would love to share with their friends the programs they heard RIGHT AFTER they caught them on the radio. I’m not sure I quite see the point of waiting to bundle these programs only semi-annually. They’re likely to be forgotten in the meantime.

3. E.M. says:

I just caught the last bit on the “food printer” on the car radio and was intrigued. I’d like to hear it from the beginning to hear what I missed. However I see it’s not available on podcast – yet? How long do I have to wait to hear it?

4. Brian says:

Nathan Myhrvold should probably mention that his “inventors” at Intellectual Ventures have brought zero products to market. Not one.

The “lab” at Intellectual Ventures is basically a front for their patent trolling activities, which is what makes all of their money… the money they used to buy the $50,000 evaporator in their kitchen.

This American Life did a great story about this… worth a listen.

5. Eban says:

I agree with Brian…

It is a little disingenuous to present Nathan Myhrvold as a wonderful modern scientist/chef and not include his darker side.

Yes, he sounds like a wizard in the kitchen, but…he has a another venture (Intellectual Ventures) that is stifling innovation and invention:

• Greg Sine says:

Dude wheres the podcast come on guys you can do better. I want to share this info with my tech and food geeks.

6. Nick Mayhill says:

What was the song played behind the transition during 18:00-20:00 minute marks. The piano.

Thanks