A Freakonomics Radio Bleg: What’s Your Name?

Want to be part of an episode of Freakonomics Radio? We’re working on a podcast about names and we want to hear from readers and listeners about their own names — common ones, unusual ones, everything in between. So we’ve set up a voicemail line at 646-829-4478. Give us a call and tell us your full name, and then tell us a little bit about your first name – how you got it and what it means. Thanks!

Addendum: Thank you for all your emails and messages! Our line is now closed. Our names podcast will be out on 4/8/2013.

1. Dusty Cullen Wells says:

My mom named me after a boy she had a crush on in high school (not my father) and my dad got my middle name out of a Louie L’Amour novel.

2. miriam says:

I don’t feel like calling– or listening to a podcast for that matter. I am thinking that the other commenters feel the same– or perhaps they just didn’t read directions. No matter.
    My name is from my great-aunt Miriam. In hebrew supposedly it means “bitter” or “contentious”. Funny story– my little brother’s name is Simon which is my great-aunt’s brother’s name too (my grandfather, IOW).

3. BOUJEMAA says:

Hi !!
    my name is Boujemaa
    it means : the father of friday
    I live in Morocco,
    And this name is not very used
    THanks

4. Jingjing Wang says:

First Name is Jingjing, which means respectfulness in Chinese. Last name is Wang, which is the fourth popular family name in China.

5. Steve Cebalt says:

My name is Steve. On my birth certificate: Steven. But I am Steve. I hate “Steven,” because it sounds presumptious, stuffy, formal — and none of those traits describe me. I would argue that if I had gone through life using the name “Steven” in everday discource, I would actually be a different person, because I’d be signaling to people that I am formal, serious, self-important. I am none of those things. I am casual, friendly, approachable. I’d be less approachable as “Steven” than as plain old “Steve.” That letter “N” makes a world of difference. Same is true of my son Charles. We call him Charlie. He’d be a different person if his friends, teachers and parents referred to him as Charles. “Prince Charlie”? No. Prince Charles is right — or King Charles someday. King Charlie?

6. anonymous says:

My name is ‘Sally’. I’ve never met another one, though I found to my surprise it is in the top 1000 girls names in the U.S.! Never liked it because when a girl’s name is mentioned in pop songs, ‘Sally’ is always a (sometimes comical) slut. No one loves or yearns for a ‘Sally’. And it also sounds like the name of a Kansas farmwife of the 1900′s, growing sunflowers alongside the chicken coop (which isn’t a bad thing but really old fashioned!) My first and (maiden) last name? Only four of us in the whole U.S.!

7. Dimitrios Alexiadis says:

My name is Dimitrios Alexiadis. My first name is my grandfathers first name, and my middle name, Nickolaos is my fathers first name and my grandfather’s middle name. The name Dimitrios in my context arises from the Greek Orthodox Church in northern Greece. He was an Orthodox military saint who became a martyr for the cause.

8. Juan Felipe Garcia Rodriguez says:

My name has been a drag my entire life – from hearing it mangled by non-Spanish speakers to tickets and bench warrants mysteriously appearing on my DMV records every few years… yet, I still love it/feel attached to it. I’ve never made a move to change it despite all the baggage. My name means too much to my parents and I’ve already done enough to break their hearts for one lifetime.

Can’t wait to hear the show!