Guns and Peanuts

Saw this ad for peanuts in the subway this morning. It was doubly jarring. First, because I am not used to seeing the word “peanut” in public unless it is followed by the word “-free,” as in “peanut-free school,” “peanut-free party,” “peanut-free environment,” etc. And second: because the kid in the ad is holding a couple of toy guns! Many parents I know don’t let their kids play with any sort of toy gun, ever. (I happen to not be one of those parents.) As a result, their kids — their boys, mostly, to be clear — just make guns out of sticks, rulers, broomsticks, pens, fingers, etc.

I guess if you’re making an ad for one product that people are squeamish about, you might as well double down and go for the full effect.

TAGS: ,

1. Justin says:

Or perhaps the part of the country where most peanuts are grown is also where people don’t find guns to be particularly jarring?

• nrojb says:

He saw it in a subway… in NYC…where few peanuts are grown. Also, why would you advertise peanuts to people who grow, or know someone who grows, peanuts? Surely they would be self interested enough to already be buying them?

• Bob says:

My guess is that the advertising guy is a Gen Yer like myself who associated Super Soakers with Super Food. Obviously this would be lost on the majority of people who did not grow up in the 90s always wanting the next more powerful Constant Pressure System (CPS)1500…

2. mikemenn says:

I wonder if America is broken up into those who live in Big Cities (New York, Chicago, LA) and the rest of America. I just find this as weird advertising. But maybe you big city folks are somewhat repulsed by the rest of us in normal-land.

• James says:

I’ve also noticed in recent weeks that the country is broken into major media – which writes headlines & articles expressing the opinion that anyone supporting the right to bear arms is a lackey of the evil NRA – and the rest of us. Really, their opinions seem so disconnected from those of anyone I know (very few of whom are all that conservative) that I can’t help wondering if they aren’t sourcing their material from an alternate universe.

• brian warden says:

“normal land”? Or as us city slickers like to call it, “the land that time forgot.”

3. AJ from GA says:

It’s…just a squirt gun. Are we really this oversensitive?

• Enter your name... says:

Yes, we are. At least, in my circles, upper-middle-class mothers with university diplomas and zero family members in the military since WWII really are this oversensitive.

• J1 says:

Oddly, the same demographic that thinks vaccinations are bad.

• Enter your name... says:

• J1 says:

“The vaccination issue seems to depend on whether that university degree is in hard sciences or not.”

Apologies for not including that. That’s been my observation as well.

• Joe J says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Disliked! Like or Dislike: Thumb up 6 Thumb down 11
  4. DC says:

Looks like he’s about to jump into a pool also. Probably lined with lead.

5. Doug says:

I have much dislike for trying to place artificial limits on children’s interests, seems too much like over-protection, maybe bordering on brain-washing. I’ve known people who forbid anyone to talk about death around their kids, that just baffles me.

And it seems like it’s a focus on minutiae — while your busy keeping plastic guns away from from your boys (and they’re busy using sticks and fingers instead), parents down the street are teaching their kids all their worst prejudices.

6. Brandon says:

Water guns? The horror.

Give me a break.

7. MJW says:

It’s a kid playing with a couple of squirt guns. Advertising a natural and healthy product. I understand that some have allergies to peanuts, but obviously their target market do not. Anyone having issues with this really needs to re-evaluate the battles worth fighting, because this isn’t one of them… sigh…

8. MA Man says:

Sorry state of affairs that we find peanuts and waterguns “jarring”, and they make us “squeamish”! I get that peanut allergies are terrible, and we want to teach our kids to resist violence… but seriously? Peanuts and water guns!! Last week I read a story about a grade-school boy suspended for chewing his cookie into the shape of a gun. It seems like we’re heading toward censorship rather than actually teaching kids right from wrong!
    What if we let them have their peanuts and waterguns but teach them to make good decisions in the video games and movies they watch!