The Downside of Smoking Pot?

(Photo:  Daquella manera)

(Photo: Daquella manera)

I am not sure how else to explain this e-mail, received from a reader whose name I shall withhold:

So there is this weird thing going on at CVS that I have to at least make record of, maybe talk about. I am constantly lured there and I walk the wiles, grab a few things, and the bill ALWAYS adds up to whatever amount of money I have in my pocket. If I have $54.32, on three occasions the total added up to exactly the amount I had, and on two other occasions it was within a dollar of being the exact amount. It’s like if I played roulette and always guessed right. Now I can’t talk about it, and these fucks know that, so they do it every time I go to CVS. I boycotted CVS but they lure me there anytime I am even close there. I swore myself to secrecy but the problem is I don’t have a lot of friends and under a condition of secrecy, I get lured to CVS constantly.

1. David says:

In this day and age of NSA, Facebook, corporate espionage, etc., you don’t have to be crazy to think things like this are true…but it helps.

2. Phil says:

I doubt this is pot-related. It’s more likely that the writer has some sort of mental disorder where coincidences are given more value than they are worth (yes, that part is a common pot smoking trait). But pot smoking does not explain the uncontrollable or obsessive urge to shop at a specific store all the time.

3. Fmorgeson says:

I can handle a massive government conspiracy to snoop inside the mundane details of my life via cyber-snooping. But if CVS and/or Rite Aid have devised some pharmacological method of luring me into their web, I am leaving America forever…

4. PorkSoldier says:

Outstanding. This guy needs to become a regular contributor. Get him signed to a contract before someone else scoops him up.

5. jill says:

He’s probably buying the same items every time he goes there. Like Picking up a script or a soda etc… we are creatures of habit.

6. Tom says:

Sounds like someone with a great-hidden counting skill. Advice: Go to play blackjack.

7. SWB says:

A modern day Nostradamus. This guy must be the first person in the world to walk into a store with a sense of the expendable income in his pocket and spend to that amount.

• Nick says:

Amazingly, he never spends more than the amount in his pocket, either!

• BGriffin says:

…or maybe that is the explanation (and he didn’t think it was important enough to mention).
        He could be grabbing far too much stuff and then ends up putting stuff back until the bill matches the amount he came in with (plus anything in the need-a-penny-take-a-penny or charity budget of others in line).

8. Jim says:

How much Visine does one guy need?