Let Us Know What Kind of Free Stuff You Really Want

radio cartoonWhen we ask people to contribute to our public-radio Freakonomics podcast, our sponsor station WNYC offers some of the standard public-radio gifts: a Freakonomics t-shirt, a coffee mug, copies of our books, etc. I am curious what sort of gifts people really want. The radio station tells us that people love love love tote bags, but as someone who almost never carries a tote bag, I am skeptical. But I am also happy to be proven wrong. So please let us know via the poll below, and also write in answers in the comments. Thanks.

What Freakonomics Radio pledge gift sounds best?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

1. Ryan says:

A Dubner bobblehead.

2. Mary Jane says:

Mug but only if they’re contigos!

3. Maggie says:

I love tote bags when they’re large and low slung enough (and preferably canvas) to haul groceries in. I think it’s also a good way to promote things you believe in, since it’s essentially walking ad space and can make for a great conversation piece. I take my favorite bags out with me constantly!

4. Marc says:

The keys to effective swag:

1. Something that I might actually need/use. Otherwise, even if it sounds fun at the moment, it will soon find its way into the trash.

2. Something that will be visible to the my social group. Social proof is the best way to get word of mouth. Even if I use it every day, that only binds me to Freakonomics. Bind my friends too.

3. Something unique. I might need a coffee mug, but I already have 10 swag coffee mugs, so yours is likely to sit in the back of the cabinet.

5. Courtney says:

Ear buds, bottle openers, hand sanitizer, chapstick, chip clips, travel coffee mugs are useful freebies.

I have actually started refusing the free t-shirt because they just end up taking up space in my dresser.

6. Paula says:

My favorite public radio gift (WBEZ in Chicago) actually *was* a tote bag, but it was a nylon one that folded into a tiny attached pouch and had a carabiner clip on it, which made it useful because it could fit in a pocket. I love the idea of reusable shopping bags, but remembering to bring them with me is a challenge. The nylon one in the pouch fits in pocket or clips to a key chain. I’ve been looking for more of these bags ever since.

7. Ilya says:

Coozies without any links to websites or phone numbers. Just a nice, clean logo (that goes for anything, though).

8. Embik says:

Something nice, classy and useful. I am thinking of a desk organizer like (http://photo.walgreens.com/walgreens/pdpgifts/type=desktop_organizer?tab=photo_office_DesktopOrganizer) or a more cost-effective variant of it. Another thought is a daily calendar filled with Freakonomics fun fact/puzzle.

Another variant of tote bag is the reusable shopping bag. I actually use reusable shopping bags and you will get good exposure from various Freakonomers shopping in grocery stores, book stores, farmers markets, etc. :)