Last Chance to Vote for "Freakonomics"

Freakonomics has been nominated for the inaugural Quill Awards and we would really appreciate your vote.* Click here to cast your ballot (and be prepared to wade through several screens before finding Freakonomics in the “Best Business” category). You can actually vote for it twice: as “Best Business” book and also “Book of the Year.” Be warned, however, that the “Book of the Year” ballot is very long and a little confusing, so you have to look for Freakonomics on the right-hand column.

*Levitt is in Hong Kong as I type, so let me clarify: I would really appreciate your vote. Levitt probably doesn’t feel the need to win another award — hell, he owns the John Bates Clark Medal. But I haven’t won anything really good since high school (when I won, quite improbably, Athlete of the Year, and even more improbably, a Charles Steinmetz award for math and science). Plus which, one of our competitors in the business category is Jack Welch. Does he really need a Quill? (Seriously, though: thanks for the votes.)

1. Anonymous says:

Not as good as Quill or John Bates Clark, but Freakonomics was selected by the Indiana University University Club Women’s Circulating Book Group (a group of faculty wives mostly in their 50s and 60s) as one of their books to read for 2005-2006. In addition to the “fame,” you picked up sales of 16 books to be circulated through the year.

2. Anonymous says:

I wouldn’t have taken the time to vote, but this cracked me up. If it means denying that selfish, priapatic blowhard a Quill award, I’ll vote for Freakonomics twice.

3. StCheryl says:

“If it means denying that selfish, priapatic blowhard a Quill aware, I’ll vote for Freakonomics twice.”

I’m with you, anonymous. Given that Levitt lives in Chicago, I think we should all honor its electoral traditions and vote as much as we can.

4. Vinnie says:

Unfortunately I haven’t read it yet, so I can’t vote. But I did buy it, and will read it asap…

5. I agree with anon and stcheryl.

say NO to “Neutron” Jack!

qg

6. Broker says:

How could we NOT vote for the book? Seriously, I haven’t read another book this year that made me think about issues as much as yours. Here’s hoping you win! I’m voting now.

Broker

thebrokerage.blogspot.com

7. Jason says:

Voted.

But Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell gave me serious pause for Book of the Year.

In the end, I voted for Freakonomics, because there was no more interesting book this year.

8. is it legal to campaign for your vote?

sorry, not read yet, plan to read, so can’t vote.