Freakonomics at Columbia University?

That, at least, is what New York Magazine calls it.

1. Anonymous says:

I like how the article referred to a 61 year-old recent Nobel prize winner from the U of C without naming him. As if there are dozens of them.

2. StCheryl says:

There is an obvious candidate/suspect/whatever, but given the way the U of C likes to claim Nobel Prize winners, maybe there is more than one person who fits that description. There was a hilarious article in the April 1, 1984 Chicago Maroon on just this subject. (There may have been others since then, but I haven’t seen the Maroon since 1984.)

I think it’s time that someone looked into getting royalties on the use of the word “Freakonomics”.

3. Jonathan Schwartz says:

I should have become an economics professor instead of having dropped out of grad school with my masters and my MBD (most but dissertation).

4. Just for the record, I was not interviewed for this story, and I am not the anonymous senior economist quoted at the end of the article. The reporter called me, but I declined to comment.

5. Anonymous says:

Do you think they will be bidding up fellowship offers for incoming graduate students? :-D

6. Anonymous says:

The way I read the article it says only that several of the new Columbia profs work in the area of Frekonomics and not they the way they were hired is an example of Freakonomics in action, as the blog entry suggests. The article says instead that the way they were hired is an example of sunspot theory. I’m not sufficiently knowledgeable to say whether they are correct about this.

7. Anonymous says:

Well I guess those of us in the know must have already guessed who that 61 years old nobel laureate has to be. I do have one question, however,is he really such a “bully” on junior faculty, or for that matter, graduate students?

8. You would need to ask the junior faculty and graduate students. :)