"It's not called Freakonomics, Donald, it is called Freakonomi"

This season’s show “Apprentice” with Donald Trump ended with Trump asking the winner whether the runner-up, Rebecca Jarvis, should also be hired. The winner said, “The show is called ‘The Apprentice,’ not ‘The Apprenti.’ ”

Not particularly important, but first let’s just note that if the plural of apprentice is “apprenti,” then by the same token our book should be called “Freakonomi.” Maybe in the paper back version.

More important, I know a celebrity! Rebecca Jarvis, the runner-up, is my former student at University of Chicago. If I remember correctly, she got an A.

Far stranger than her being my student is that we also went to the same high school in the Twin Cities.

I’ll have to dig out her old exam and get her to autograph it for me.

1. J-Deal says:

Randal totally deserved the win, I don;t want to take away from him at all.

But did anyone else have a problem when he didn’t talk Trump into hiring Rebecca? She was also a star, and my jaw just kinda dropped when he didn’t stick up for her.

I wonder if he just wanted his moment – which I can understand – or if he knew something that we didn’t see on the program.

2. J-Deal says:

Randal totally deserved the win, I don;t want to take away from him at all.

3. lc-maven says:

Yes, all of my friends were appalled.

The consensus analysis was that he had probably struggled for everything in his life and didn’t want to dilute his victory.

That level of competitiveness is also part of the MIT ethos. As an alum, I can vouch for that.

4. lc-maven says:

Yes, all of my friends were appalled.

5. jason_k says:

I attended the same high school as Becky and Steve. And, I can definitely attest the the fact that Becky has been a hard working, assertive person from the get-go.

6. jason_k says:

7. Scipio says:

I can’t stand it when people think they’re being clever by improperly pluralizing nouns. Randall should use his newfound wealth to buy a copy of Strunk & White’s, and maybe he’ll sound like less of an idiot when he talks.

8. Scipio says: