What Do You Have to Say About Ron Paul?

I am probably like the other 98% of Americans who know almost nothing about the libertarian Texas congressman Ron Paul, perhaps besides the fact that he’s running for President and that he seems to have a growing fringe following. So this e-mail, from a reader named Casey Hopkins, caught my eye:

Why don’t you guys write about Ron Paul?

1. Number one blogged-about subject (not candidate) on the internet (technorati.com)
2. Highest website traffic of all the candidates (Alexa.com)
3. His odds of winning have quadrupled on gambling sites (gambling911.com)
4. Is shunned by the mainstream media
5. Only Republican who wants to leave Iraq
6. Only Republican who is a real fiscal conservative (see Barry Goldwater)
7. He knows his economics arguably better than anyone in Congress. Watch some of his YouTube speeches.

The primary is still 8 months away, so it will be very interesting to see what happens. Read about his principles and internet popularity on wikipedia.

Thanks, Casey, for doing the blogging for us. At your prompting, I took a quick look at a couple of Ron Paul’s media appearances and I have this to say:

I can see why he is so appealing to people tired of mainstream candidates. And I think he might be highly electable … in a country other than the U.S. Estonia, maybe. (As for his odds of winning quadrupling: indeed they have, as evidenced on InTrade also — from 0.2% to 0.8%; I mean this in the nicest possible way, Casey, but this is the kind of statistical argument that is best kept confined to mutual-fund prospectuses.)

I realize that my contribution here is worthless, and I would rather hear what you all have to say about Ron Paul. So please talk, as Linda Richman used to say, amongst yourselves.

1. egretman says:

And I think he might be highly electable …

Oh man, if you people will just elect this fellow from Texas, you would make me so happy for four years. It would be a gift from the gods. Another Texas idiot. Two certifiably crazy dudes from Texas running the guvment, back to back.

I pray to all your gods. Let it be so.

2. egretman says:

And I think he might be highly electable …

I pray to all your gods. Let it be so.

3. Snarfangel says:

You have to admit, by firmly putting himself in opposition to the other candidates with regards to the war, he gains attention he wouldn’t get otherwise. To look at it from an economic standpoint, there are nine other candidates supplying pro-war rhetoric, while Congressman Paul has a monopoly for anti-war views on the the Republican side. For a second-tier candidate, that’s not too bad a place, and he has a chance to attract voters in open primaries that would normally never vote Republican.

My head tells me he won’t win, but the race will be a lot more fun with him in it.

4. Snarfangel says:

5. Cutkomp says:

My best piece of advice would be to take it upon yourself to learn more about Ron Paul directly from his mouth. Friday night, for example, he’ll be on Maher with Affleck and Rourke. The CNN debates are just around the corner. There are also a plethora of Dr. Paul’s writings and videos available online so that you can see what you think about the guy without getting the info through biased and filtered sources.

Thanks for the post about Ron Paul. Have a great day.

6. Cutkomp says:

Thanks for the post about Ron Paul. Have a great day.

7. frankenduf says: