The FREAKest Links: From Arm Touches Straight to Three-Carat Pacifiers Edition

Nicolas Gueguen, an assistant professor of psychology at the University of Bretagne-Sud, performed a study in which his male research assistants approached 240 women in the street and asked for their phone numbers. Half of the women were asked the question accompanied by a light touch on the arm; the other half received no physical contact. Of those touched, 19% gave a phone number; only 10% of the non-touched said yes.

Courtesy of Harvard economics professor Roland Fryer: Forbes.com profiles the newest trends in ultra-expensive baby gear, including a pacifier made of gold and three carats worth of pave-cut white diamonds. Better hope you don’t have twins: it costs $17,000.

On the subject of babies: University of Wisconsin political science professor and blogger Charles H. Franklin has tracked the number of girls named “Monica” born each year since 1970, finding that the name was on a downswing until a certain scandal became public in 1998, after which it tanked. As we’ve discussed, “Katrina” namings went in the opposite direction in some states after the hurricane — an indicator, perhaps, that people are more willing to name their baby after a natural disaster than a man-made one. (Hat tip: B. Cline.)

1. rlmthree says:

“Friends” ran from ’94-’01, I believe, with a prominent character named Monica, as well as ’99 seeing the debut of Lou Bega’s “Mambo #5″ with its own “little bit of Monica”.

2. rlmthree says:

3. gpburdell says:

look at http://babynamewizard.com/namevoyager/lnv0105.html for any and all names you can think of.

4. gpburdell says:

5. Isaac says:

The touch study is hardly double-blind. The researchers could easily have been projecting more optimism when they went in for the touch.

6. Isaac says:

7. lermit says:

It’s like that southern joke, “why would I show you any mercy when you tried to get me raped and my boy shot”. Now you are concerned.

There. My mom’s real name is Myrna.

.lermit (unrelated to leadership statistics)

8. lermit says:

There. My mom’s real name is Myrna.

.lermit (unrelated to leadership statistics)