I received the following e-mail today. If you read this, apply, and make the show, we’ll give you a month’s supply of Freakonomics T-shirts and yo-yos, as long as you agree to wear them on the show:
My name is Laina Rose, I’m currently casting a new reality show. You are being contacted because our research team thinks you might be great for the show!
We’re looking for geniuses from all walks of life to become part of Sci Fi’s “Brain Trust” — a super-smart swat team to tackle previously unsolvable problems. But we’re leaving global warming and world peace to the other guys — the “Brain Trust” will solve the every-day, insidious annoyances that vex us all. What’s the most efficient strategy to snag the best parking spot at the mall? How can you make it statistically more likely that you’ll get some action tonight? SCI FI is going to put the best minds and most original thinkers on the case!
We’re looking for people from all disciplines and all walks of life — from rocket scientists to backyard inventors to puzzle fanatics. The only requirements are ingenuity, a knack for out of the box problem solving, and an outgoing personality!
Think you’re up for it? E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, address, contact info, age, and a recent picture. Plus, provide detailed answers to the following questions:
1. What is your educational background?
2. What do you do for a living?
3. Are you a genius? If so, how has this affected your life?
4. Do you have any intellectually rigorous hobbies? How about not-so-intellectually rigorous hobbies?
5. How would your friends describe your personality?
6. If you could put the greatest minds in the country together to solve a single everyday problem OF NO MAJOR SOCIAL IMPORTANCE (i.e. developing a theory of how to pick the fastest line at the supermarket), what would it be? And what out of the box approach would you use to solve it?
Or, if you’re feeling creative (and we like creative!), give us your answers on video, and send the DVD to:
Idiot Box Productions
c/o Casting Department
1419 Wilcox, Suite B
Hollywood, CA. 90028
Casting only lasts for a couple weeks, so send your submissions in ASAP!
The submissions, including the videos, become our property and will not be returned, and we can use the submissions, including videos, in any way we see fit, including, without limitation, in and in connection with any program and any advertisements, promotions and publicity, in any and all media, whether now existing or hereafter discovered.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at 323.463.0180.n
Hope to hear from you soon,