FREAK-TV: ‘Do Doctors Wash Their Hands?’

Video

Our International Woman of Mystery returns in a new video, “Do Doctors Wash Their Hands?” Here’s a column we wrote on the subject, and here’s some recent bad news. For a real time warp, read this 1859 essay by Ignaz Semmelweis, and ask yourself why on earth we are still talking about hand washing.

1. jedwards says:

Is it just me or is the sound effect at the beginning of the video about 100 times louder than the audio for the rest of the video? It’s really obnoxious. Lower the volume or lose the sound effect.

2. jedwards says:

3. Rita: Lovely Meter Maid says:

Why are doctors so dumb about this? Why should we have to get sick from their arrogance and stupidity about something so basic that even a toddler knows it’s important to do?

4. Rita: Lovely Meter Maid says:

5. zadig says:

I have never had a doctor come in to examine me without first washing his/her hands, and then washing after the examination was completed. Where the heck was this study done, anyway?

6. zadig says:

7. mp says:

I’m pretty sick of the NYT constantly slandering physicians. I’m a physician and all physicians I work with wash their hands before and after seeing a patient. It is not only doctors that enter a patient’s room. There are a lot of people in the hospital that interact with patients, including nurses, Physical therapists,dietary, and even transporters. Everyone is responsible, and it seems that only physicians are the only ones ever singled out. I respected the freakonomics blog before it became a part of the NYTs and foolishly thought it would remain independent after the buyout.

8. mp says: