The FREAK-est Links

Students fight for the right to file-share. (Earlier)

Headhunters see spike in lies on resumes.

Is Craigslist inadvertently prolonging the Iraq war? (Earlier)

Why are so many good kidneys going to waste? (Earlier)

1. Paul says:

So which of these students who want to ignore copyright law are going to work for free? I’ll take them much more seriously when they offer to work for no wages as they are suggesting that musicians should.

2. Paul says:

3. cephyn says:

Often they do Paul. They’re called unpaid internships.

4. cephyn says:

Often they do Paul. They’re called unpaid internships.

5. Tom says:

“I was stunned by the extremity of the punishment for taking songs I could have bought for a few cents,” he said. “It seemed grossly out of proportion.”

Uh-DUH!
    I had no idea I could go to jail for shoplifting something I could have bought for a few dollars.

6. Tom says:

Uh-DUH!

7. Nathan says:

Most people advocating these sorts of digital rights are a little more fair-minded than many seem to give them credit for. Some of them, of course, are not, but I won’t try to defend those folks.

The phrase “digital feudalism” in the article seems a pretty fair way to describe the lifestyle of most artists that are not superstars. The labels create a LOT of costs for the atist to recoup. Nirvana producer Steve Albini once wrote an essay showing how a band whose album sold 250,000 copies could easily make… about four thousand bucks each, after all the middlemen have been paid. Uh-huh. Yeah.

Most of these artists can and should make their money through live venues, merchandising, radio royalties, CD sales, and digital download sales. All of those things will still happen if the RIAA weren’t so litigious. And if artists chose to go around the RIAA altogether… they could probably do a lot better for themselves. Certainly, they could do a lot better for us.

Illegal downloading is not going to go away. Better for the industry to look at it as free promotion than to try and track it down and stamp it out. I suspect that process has become far more expensive than the revenue they’re losing in the first place.

But I’ve said enough. I’ve just paid for the new Radiohead album, so I think I’m going to go enjoy it.

8. Nathan says: