A Future S.A.T. Question?

MySpace is to Facebook as Yahoo! is to ___________.

The answer, according to Hitwise, is: Google.

Just as Facebook users are higher on the socioeconomic ladder than MySpace users, people who use Google as their search engine are better off than those who use Yahoo!. Google is most popular among users defined as “Affluent Suburbia,” “Upscale America,” and “Small Town Contentment,” while Yahoo! is most popular among “Struggling Societies,” “Urban Essence,” and “Blue Collar Backbone.”

And while this might indeed make a good S.A.T. question, by its very nature it would probably be nixed because of cultural bias.

If nothing else, it makes for a good parlor game. For instance: which search engine do you think everyone in the movie Juno uses?

(Hat tip: Alon Nir and several others.)

1. Sloan says:

Or it wouldn’t be used on the SATs anymore because they scrapped the “analogy” part of the verbal section :)

2. JS says:

The capture of some statistics never ceases to amaze me. Unfortunately many of these statistics have little to no real meaning.

Primero!

3. mgroves says:

I would like to point out that using Google does not make you rich (correlation vs causation).

Everyone in Juno would use something obscure and pretentious, like hakia.

4. Ted says:

When the SATs dropped the analogy questions, every single newspaper article seemed to refer to them as “the dreaded analogy questions” and implied that high school students were dancing in the streets over their demise. I never really understood why they were any worse (or better, for that matter) than other types of questions.

5. Charles D says:

Analogy questions are gone now? I’m glad I got through while they were still there, those questions were the only reason I did well on the verbal section. Solving them seemed more like a math problem to me once you learned to connect the words with a sentence.

I need to get my monocle back out and start scoffing at people who use Yahoo! to reinforce these statistics.

6. Jose Hernandez says:

I thought my dad was the only person who kept using Yahoo.

7. Lukesed says:

As someone who will be taking the SAT’s soon and have already taken the PSAT multiple times, I’m not happy. Those questions always seemed so easy they were essentialy free points. Maybe it has something how often the test taker reads.

8. Ben says:

@ mgroves

What about Juno was obscure and pretentious?