A Not So Romantic Valentine’s Day

As a Valentine’s Day present to my wife, Jeannette, I flew her to romantic Council Bluffs, Iowa, and bought her an entry into the High-Heeled Poker Tour event being played there over the weekend. These are women-only events, with the winner taking home the coveted “high-heel” necklace. Just so she understood that this truly was a Valentine’s gift to her (as opposed to a thinly veiled treat for myself), I did not even think about entering any of the other poker tournaments that were being played. Rather, I brought lots of work that I planned to do while watching her play. After she busted out, we would have a romantic dinner together before flying back to Chicago late that night.

It turned out to be the most productive weekend I have had in years, work-wise, although it was a little low on romance!

Jeannette played too well, eventually making it to the final table. In the end, her A-9 lost to pocket jacks and she finished fourth.

Meanwhile, I plugged away on my computer for ten hours.

Not only did we not get our romantic dinner, but I ended up flying back to Chicago alone since someone had to get the kids to school on Monday. Jeannette had to catch a flight the next day. (We seem to have a thing about poker tournaments and missed flights.)

Still, without a doubt, this was the best Valentine’s Day present I’ve ever given her.

1. Jarred says:

So…. what’s the point?

2. Martin Lowenthal says:

Great story. There are many womens only tournaments that are very competitive at http://www.nlop.com You should give ema try and see if you can win there. It is great practise as it is very competitive.

3. Justin says:

@1. His point was to tell us what he did for his wife for Valentine’s Day and to point out that, although it was a much appreciated gift (“best…ever”), it was not very romantic.

I could be wrong, though.

4. Angryman says:

Did she like this better than the bowling ball with “Steven” engraved in it?

5. Charity says:

The point is, it’s his blog and he can write whatever he wants. That’s the beauty of America.

6. Justin says:

@5. Word.

7. Dustin says:

Don’t feel bad about the lack of romance. Most folks aren’t doing any better. If you look at census data with births, you’ll find that November, which is 38 weeks after 2/14, has an really low birth rate. Maybe it’s due to February’s 2 day shorter month, but it doesn’t seem like there’s a lot of conception going on!

8. Mike says:

“It turned out to be the most productive weekend I have had in years, work-wise…I plugged away on my computer for ten hours.”

Wow! Ten whole hours!?! In just one weekend?!? That must be the most productive weekend any tenured professor has had in years. :)