What’s the Smartest Way to Spend Your Rebate?

With more than $110 billion in tax rebates set to flow into taxpayer pockets starting today, everyone from big-box retailers to restaurants to debt-collection agencies is vying for a piece of the action. But what’s the smartest way to spend your rebate — for yourself and for the larger economy?

Now that we’ve considered that, how are you really going to spend it? And will it make you happier?

1. doug says:

I’m happy not to be getting one.

2. pokane says:

I’m planning to add it to a windfall payment I’ve received from leaving my last job (accumulated vacation pay) with an eye to buying a house in 3-5 years. I just hope I can manage to hide said nest egg from the college financial aid folks so that when my children graduate from college in 2 years the money is still there.

3. Ben says:

My rebate will be used to pay down debt, which will make me much happier than any $600 retail purchase.

4. Chance says:

Paying off credit card bills. Real “stimulating” to the economy, I’m sure.

Will it make me happier? Yes, because I hate debt. It will also make my wife, who hates debt twice as much as I and is 10 times thriftier, happy. This in turn will make me happy. It’s a positive feedback loop.

5. mgroves says:

An index fund.

6. Barb says:

I would rather not be getting one, but I’m going to apply my $600 towards a set of golf clubs! Can’t wait (new hobby)

7. Michael says:

Credit Debt (duh!)

8. hanmeng says:

Spend? It’s going into my index mutual fund. This may not help the economy in the short term, but buying stocks in companies helps the economy long term. Plus I’m happy to know I’m making my financial future more secure.